best way to set up for pro touring

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
hey guys looking to stiffening up the rear and front ends on the duster. i hear some beefier torsion bars and front and rear sway bars is really all you need to make it handle like a dream.. is this true and of course new front end bushings. and frame connectors. what are you guys doing in the rear, caltracs or 4 link.? whats best for autocross. what upper contol arms do guys like best ? was going to do a coil overs but not sure if its necessary. just looking for some guidance here. are drop spindles needed.? thanks in advance

Do some searching on a road race set up. Firm feel has a links page with some great info on it. I'm doing the same with a 65 Dart, just to much info to type in this forum.

1" or greater Torsion bars

Front and rear sway bars from Hotchkis, Helwig, or Firm Feel

Rear leafs from Hotchkis or Firm Feel

Bilstein shocks from Hotchkis

If on a budget, Moog 7103 Offset upper control arm bushings. Installed for more caster. Can get 3-5 degrees of caster.

On a budget you could wait on the frame connectors.

Get good tires on there. 225 wide up front or more.

Or... Basically the whole Hotchkis TVS system.

I agree with Steve.....You could also get a complete front and rear system from RMS..Alterkation....But I know that's not in your budget...lol

I have something close to steves older setup in my 68 cuda....My 70 dart has RMS suspension front and rear...:D

I do what I like to call Amateur Touring. Home made subframe connectors, home built rear spring stack (combining parts from other stacks), bigger torsion bars and maybe some aftermarket sway bars. If it's low-buck, you'll find it around here.

I agree with Steve.....You could also get a complete front and rear system from RMS..Alterkation....But I know that's not in your budget...lol

I have something close to steves older setup in my 68 cuda....My 70 dart has RMS suspension front and rear...:D

hey james believe me if i could i wouldnt even had posted this haha i think if i save up for the rest of my life i may be able to afford the front end kit , haha, id have to buy the rear in the afterlife , haha i think im going to take it one step at a time, was thinkin doing the front end rebuild first, then torsion bars, then front and rear sway bars. ill start saving for the street lynx system

yea man. do a front end rebuild, including a set of 1" torsion bars...add sway bars like autoxcuda mentioned, and a pair of 17x8 in wheels really tightens things up....

This may be a stupid question. But when switching to a front coil over set up does that eliminate torsion bars or can they still be used for extra stiffness?

no, it eliminates them completely.....the "coil" over the shock, is what holds the cars weight....but there really isnt a complete bolt in kit, you'd have to reinforce the shock tower...i would think its more of a drag setup..

from magnum force...
http://www.magnumforce.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=2554

If u were to go that way, RMS is the only way, complete bolt it....so stick with the stock style suspension....

no, it eliminates them completely.....the "coil" over the shock, is what holds the cars weight....but there really isnt a complete bolt in kit, you'd have to reinforce the shock tower...i would think its more of a drag setup..

from magnum force...
http://www.magnumforce.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=2554

If u were to go that way, RMS is the only way, complete bolt it....so stick with the stock style suspension....

yea i was looking at that kit as well as the as the reinforcements that go along with it. does rms have like just a coil over kit or do you have to buy the complete alterkation set up?? was just thinking of maybe the adjustable control arms torsion bars, sway bars and frame connectors, bigger brakes and wheels of course. wats the best way to stiffen rear without the streetlynx system? mono leafs ? or good shocks and sway bars kinda on a budget.

... was just thinking of maybe the adjustable control arms torsion bars, sway bars and frame connectors, bigger brakes and wheels of course.

Do you have the budget to do all that at one time? If not, skip the upper A-arms, frame connectors, and bigger brakes if you allready have discs. Then do that stuff later.

wats the best way to stiffen rear without the streetlynx system? mono leafs ? or good shocks and sway bars kinda on a budget.

Bilstein shocks. Next, rear helwig or hotchkis sway bar. Next hotchkis leaf springs.

Do you have the budget to do all that at one time? If not, skip the upper A-arms, frame connectors, and bigger brakes if you allready have discs. Then do that stuff later.

Bilstein shocks. Next, rear helwig or hotchkis sway bar. Next hotchkis leaf springs.

Bingo. Just what I was gonna say.

I'd leave the stock 11" iron disc brakes you have now....they are fine, it's what I'm using....you can upgrade to the 11 3/4" brakes as well, which is very easy, just the the caliper adaptors which normally sell for a 100 bucks, and get rotors from rock auto, or napa....

for the rear, the street linx might be a little high for your budget from the sound of it...nearly 2000, plus mild welding is needed....

id go for the hotchkis leafs, rear sway bars.. and bilstein shocks....steve is right on...lol

Sweet. Think I'll wait 2 more weeks then start gathering some parts thanks. James I'll let you know when I need help with my front end haha

-
Back