beyond repair?

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Hello, Ive got a 1968 barracuda fastback with some cancer. It sat underneth a tree for many MANY years. The leaves collected on the corners of the roof caused all the damage that you see here. What should I do? Should I attempt to replace the entire roof or just repair the rust on the exisiting roof? (couldnt post all the pictures because they were too big)

Attachments

• barracuda before.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 167
  • barracuda7.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 171
Tough call. I would attempt to find a roof, but that might be tough? Nice car though, well worth trying to fix. The curves can be duplicated, but that drip edge looks intimidating, at least to me. Some metal guys might drool over getting to fix that, as they have the talent.

If the underside is in good shape, I'd say restore it and build it your way. That is, if you have the expertise and tools. If not, be prepared to spend mucho bucks farming out the repairs unless you can find some FABO members who are will to help you with the repairs. JMO

Well the funny thing is that the underside is spotless. The floor panals are 100% rust free and the trunk floor is the same way. The underside of the roof isnt too bad but the rear corners are rusted all the way thru (2 in hole)

that should be an easy fix trust me it looks harder then it is..pull the windows out and do it.. you will be amazed at what you can do..but for gods sake downt junck it..these cars are worth to much...if I was closer I would help you. and I think you can get a new top I know my frend got one for his I will check with him.......Artie

I would never scrap the car. It means too much to me. Ive been looking for this particular car since I was 14 (was passed down the family until my father sold it in 95... only 19 now...so for 5 years haha) The plan is to completly restore the car and swap in a 408 stroker. Im also liking the idea of a dark silver paint job with a black hood, spoiler, and interior. Should be nice when finished :)

Well the funny thing is that the underside is spotless. The floor panals are 100% rust free and the trunk floor is the same way. The underside of the roof isnt too bad but the rear corners are rusted all the way thru (2 in hole)

if the only problem is the roof, then you have a fairly easy fix compared to what some people will do for rust repair

The car is definitely not too far gone. Save it, restore it and drive it. That roof is definitely repairable.

-
Back