BF Goodrich radial T/A white letters

-
My TA’s turned brown and were born in 2008.
IMG_5960.jpeg

And were replaced with Coopers last month:
IMG_6142.jpeg

Okay, maybe your TA’s have an issue. I was just speaking from my experience with mine. Anyways y’all are stuck in the 70’s/80’s, there are much better performing tires on the market. Get with the times.

I read a ton of stories complaining about them turning brown but I would hope they rectified that. I didn't want to take that chance though and bought Mickey's. The smallest MT makes for the front though was 215/70s while I would have preferred 205/65s.

I read a ton of stories complaining about them turning brown but I would hope they rectified that. I didn't want to take that chance though and bought Mickey's. The smallest MT makes for the front though was 215/70s while I would have preferred
I like the BFG letters, size, and font. I also like the tread pattern. Some of the white lettered tires look like snow tire tread. I will probably go with MT if I need to replace them again. I like the tread and the letter size and font.

I like the BFG letters, size, and font. I also like the tread pattern. Some of the white lettered tires look like snow tire tread. I will probably go with MT if I need to replace them again. I like the tread and the letter size and font.
Agree. The BFG are good looking tires but didn't want to chance the letters. I have a young friend who had a Red Monte Carlo pace car back in the day and he would routinely recolor his letters Yellow. Hahaha, I AIN'T that guy.

I've actually never cared for the BFG tires. their tread edges are too rounded and that leads to accelerated wear on the edges, IMO. I loved the old Goodyear Eagle ST tires. They had very square edges that made almost a 90 degree angle from the tread to the sidewall.

20 yr old BFG's?

no wonder you can spin the tires thru three gears!
:p
It's no secret, it's been mentioned a few times. Those are my sliding and drifting tires. But I have other tires on other wheels. At one time I had four sets of tires on the go, plus a brand new set; I always have one new set waiting. New 15 inch tires are too precious to just burn up.

Rusty's right, the BFGs have rounded edges,
I run my 295s at 22>24 pounds on Tens, which gives me plenty of nice even wear.
And contrary to popular opinion, after you get used to how they corner at that pressure, the self-steer is awesome. It's like running a fast-ratio box/arm. and besides, most of the time they're spinning around the corners anyway, so left-handers burn one side and right-handers the other, lol.
And to top it off, braking with no proportioning back there is like throwing out a boat-anchor. I like the half-worn BFGs cuz they're predictable. Every time I go out, they will behave the same.
Yes I ran Coopers too. They ran about the same, but went bald faster. Can't run bald in the rain on a DD. I actually ran the Coopers First, and only went to BFGs after the Coopers went bald. I've been waiting for the BFGs to wear out but , they're wearing real slooooow these past few summers (no longer a DD). I might have to retire them, just because.

I too have them on my 71 Charger and love them. Newer BFGs on the front have turned brown while older rear set just a little yellow. I had used scotch bright on them which brought them back in the past. Have very few miles on them and car is garage kept.

Used a white pen on the fronts but a lot of work and several layers still not that great solution. Looks ok from a far but up close not great.

In the old days white shoe polish did the job!

IMG_8112.jpeg

Last edited:
Late putting in my 2c, but the BFG's I just bought a few months ago, and have hardly any miles on them are already turning brown. Ive always liked BFG's, but this will be the last set I buy.

Late putting in my 2c, but the BFG's I just bought a few months ago, and have hardly any miles on them are already turning brown. Ive always liked BFG's, but this will be the last set I buy.
5 months after putting some Cooper Cobras on, they are still as white as the day they were mounted! I’m glad to be rid of the BFG’s. Not sure what I’ll do down the road when I need to replace the Coopers though since 14” RWL’s are few and far between now.

@toolmanmike, did I really see you say that there are times you wished we had the red X back? :lol: :lol:
People keep saying the letters turned brown. Mine get dirty and before I tried Black Magic Bleche White, I could NEVER get them clean. When I sprayed the Blech White on the first time, I watched the dirt literally melt off of the white letters. I sprayed on some more and scrubbed with a brush. They looked great.
Now maybe there is a defect that causes the letters to turn brown on some tires and not allow them to come clean, but the Bleche White worked great on mine. That is all I can say.
In the picture below, the "BFGoodrich" has not been cleaned, The "Radial T\A" has been.
CleanTire.JPG

Last edited:
I ended up ordering some Mickey Thompson's which is what I favored because they actually fit the era. Put them on a couple months ago but I'm still working on getting it running how I want so I still haven't washed the blue off. Since I converted to 15's the only issue was that the smallest size was 215/70 and I was nervous about them clearing in the front but they actually did with just under a half inch at the tightest point.

Interesting artifact of using one of the tire whitening products...

PXL_20240810_035723814.jpg

The white mark.

It only shows up when the cement gets wet!

Put some plastic down before you use it.

But it did whiten my RWL fast.

Wish I did knew which product it was but I think it was the bleche white

Just went downstairs and took this photo. I’ve worked on these letters quite a bit.
My tires looked just like that. The Black Magic Bleche White worked great on mine. Yours may have a defect, but it's worth a try.

I'm seeing quite a few post on the internet about the letters turning brown. The posts are a couple of years old, so does anyone know if the issue has been rectified by the manufacturer on the newer tires?
I bought these last year, no problem 2021 date on them

BA06F03D-AB68-4998-ADCD-0EA33850F7D8.jpeg

I read a ton of stories complaining about them turning brown but I would hope they rectified that. I didn't want to take that chance though and bought Mickey's. The smallest MT makes for the front though was 215/70s while I would have preferred 205/65s.

My M/Ts turned brown, but they are about 6 or 7 years old. Probably time to replace them anyways.
They aren't as soft as I'd like either.

0d315409-c9ea-4f38-b33a-f3680844bc80.jpeg

-
Back