Big Block Dart Decision

-

jim

Reaction score
Made a deal with a feller yesterday. Guy has a 68 Dart with a 383 / 727 / 8 3/4". He wants to remove the motor and put it in his Road Runner, remove and store transmission and rear end. After that the car is mine . The car is not 100% missing interior and trim . Inner fenders are removed for headers. rust on rear 1/4s and no title.
Right now I am in the process of building another 67 FB. Should I go with a small block I already have or use the Dart K frame with a 68 383 ?
I have too many projects already to try and rework the Dart. Is there any value on the Dart with me keeping the K frame and selling the body? Or should sell K frame with the body anf put the small block in my Cuda?
What does these cars go for?

So he's just giving you a non-rolling incomplete chopped and slightly rusted '68 dart body?

..just part out the Dart... as for the big block vs small block decision... that's on you. - we could debate that until the moon explodes -

I bought a 68 Barracuda, missing a lot of the interior no title. The front end (suspension) had been removed, still had the inner fenders/shock towers, radiator support, no control arms or spindles or torsion bars. No engine or trans, only a 7 1/4 rear. I paid $750 for the car. After I chopped it up for the stainless, frame rails, seats, grill parts, doors, glass, rear light buckets/housing and other miscellaneous parts I got $3500 for my investment. I still had the hood (too expensive to ship) and the trunk lid and the roof left over.

treblig

I bought a 68 Barracuda, missing a lot of the interior no title. The front end (suspension) had been removed, still had the inner fenders/shock towers, radiator support, no control arms or spindles or torsion bars. No engine or trans, only a 7 1/4 rear. I paid $750 for the car. After I chopped it up for the stainless, frame rails, seats, grill parts, doors, glass, rear light buckets/housing and other miscellaneous parts I got $3500 for my investment. I still had the hood (too expensive to ship) and the trunk lid and the roof left over.

treblig

Kinda what I was thinking if he has the time and resources to do it.
With all the interior and trim missing it might not be so worthwhile, but I'd bet body panels would bring some return along with steering and front end parts.

We can't save them all! Stay focused on your other projects, that way a higher percentage of your time will be dedicated to finishing the ones yov'e already started.

Kinda what I was thinking if he has the time and resources to do it.
With all the interior and trim missing it might not be so worthwhile, but I'd bet body panels would bring some return along with steering and front end parts.

The 68 Fastback Barracuda had more value than a Dart (not much more). But I was able to sell both frame rails from just behind the transmission all the way to the front, both shock towers and inner fender, rear frame rails, parts and pieces of the body, like the door posts and the place where the door latches to the body. I'd buy the Dart for $350-$500, take the front cross member and start chopping. The OP will easily make all his money back and then some and still have the cross member. I still have three boxes of parts, the dash, the front cowl and the fastback rear glass. I got tired of selling stuff so I just stored the left overs.

I don't see how he can lose if he gets the car for the right price, unless it's a total rust bucket???
treblig

Good points and I can't disagree; I just know there aren't many people that relish the idea of taking the time to strip a car, advertise, and ship out the parts when they could be working on their own machines.

Good points and I can't disagree; I just know there aren't many people that relish the idea of taking the time to strip a car, advertise, and ship out the parts when they could be working on their own machines.

Yep...and work the real job, and get jerked around on shipping costs...lol

Wanna sell the K frame if it actually is a big block A body one? Pm me. Thanks

Thanks for the input and advice guys. looks like the Cuda will be a big block

If he is putting an original A-Body block in his Roadrunner then he will quickly find out that there is one motor mount boss missing on the left side of the block...

-
Back