Big block exh. manifolds

-

pushrod

70dart 340
Reaction score
I am currently installing a383 in my '73 Twister, I have the scatter shield and most parts as it was a 3 spd 318. My questions is, has anyone used cast iron manifolds on the big block swap? I just don't want to spend $800 for tti's.Any input would be appreciated.Thanks.

I have seen Guys use HP manifolds on BB A Body.They ground on them abit on the drivers side to clear the steering colum.
Jim

I think the drivers side manifold is ground down at a slight angle so that it tucks in closer to the block, if I remember right.
Rod

Check out the pics in the tech pages at www.bigblockdart.com. I have run b-body HP manifolds on all big block a-bodies that I have built. I have NEVER ground down a manifold, but shortened the outer sleeve on the steering column up to the firewall.

Jim Lusk. What do you think about the B-body HPs with column shift? I think I can make it work. Two friends had 440 A-bodies with the B-body manifolds, but both were console shift.

It won't work with a stock column shift and stock manifolds. I would look at angle milling the manifold and check the fit.

I was going to cut the outer tube to the wall, as usual, and the shifter tube was going to be cut on the inner side where it interferes with the exhaust, strengthen what's left, and put a bushing inside the column to support the shift tube.

That's worth a try. Both my sons' cars have four speeds, so there was no column shifter to deal with, although my younger son's Dart convertible was original a bench seat/column auto (now has a 68 Hurst shifter and console).

The other two big block cars (one done and long gone and the other I'm working on now) were both originally console auto cars and stayed that way. So, I never had to deal with it. My GTS is an original column auto car, but it's keeping a 340.

-
Back