Big block gears

-

f55079

Reaction score
What's everyone running in there non strip 3 speed big block car ? I'm not liking the 411's it's ok around town but is not enjoyable on the highway. I'm thinking 323's ?

Gears are only 1/2 of the equation. Tire height makes a big diff. on the final drive ratio. Generally 3.23 gears are fine for a big block since they usually make good torque but if your running 30" tall tires you'd probably want lower gears.

That's a pretty short tire. You'll probably want no lower than 3.23's or it'll be howling pretty good down the interstate. I don't have a big block in my Cuda but it is a 408 so it's similar to a small big block and I'm running 3.55's with 27-1/2" tires and it's as low as I'd ever want for a cruiser. I'm thinking about swapping in some 3.23's just to see how they run cause we do a lot of cruising.

Thanks fishy68 I think I'm going with 323's where do you get your gears and what rear end do you have?

I have the 8-3/4... 3.23's are so easy to find used that's where I usually get them but if I buy new Dr. Diff is great to deal with. Too bad your not close, I have an extra 8-3/4 3rd member with 3.23's sitting under the bench that I don't need, (that is assuming you have an 8-3/4 rear). It's an open differential but a sure grip could easily be installed if you wanted to.

Thanks I wish I was closer I would love to try 323's for a weekend but oh well I'll just have to cross my fingers. Thanks again

Isn't that the way it always goes! Find what ya need and it's a 1000 miles away and weighs a ton so shipping is expensive. All mine are 489's.

-
Back