Big Block K Frame Identification

-

musclecargeek

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have started to dive into my 1969 Dart project 6 cyl to 383 big block. Have done a lot of reading here on the site and have obtained a lot of good information.

I supposedly purchased a new never used direct connection big block k-frame with spool mounts. When I compare my K-Frame to other pictures of direct connection k-frames on this forum and the web, they look different than mine. I cant make out the numbers on my K-Frame very well but, they seem be 484MN28. I have attached pictures in hopes that someone on the forum can identify my k-frame.
20200129_072104.jpg
20200129_072123.jpg

thanks

Right, based on the picture I'd say that is a NOS slant six K frame. Nice score if that is what you want. If that isn't want you wanted then it is a nice shiny /6 K frame with almost zero resell value. You might be able to have Jim Lusk turn it into a clone of a DC K frame but it won't be a walk in the park. The mounts will have to be removed and replaced. Only plus is that it would be nice to work on a NOS k frame for once.

I agree that is a slant 6 k frame I hope you didn't pay too much for it. I also have one of those in the barn.

Slant and not really a good candidate for conversion into a DC k-member. Not saying it can't be done (and I have a k-member that I could make a template for as there are no known dimensions to convert this one), but it would not be easy, but it would be expensive...

I have used bent and rotted S.B. ones to remove the mounts and installed them on /6 k frames really just a matter of what you want to do.

Thanks for the info guys. No way did I think I was buying a 6 cyl K-Frame. Thought worst case gamble, it would be a SB K-Frame with some value if I couldn't use it. Unfortunately, I did pay too much for it and will have to go back to the seller to resolve it. Anyway, can anyone help me out with a BB K-Frame? Preferably pancake type. Seems spool motor mounts are hard to come by these days for the 383 setup. May need to rethink the big block setup If I can't get this part of the project resolved.

Also, just for reference. This is a Direct Connection K-member (and, YES, those are factory welds on the DC k-members). Last two pics are a couple of my homemade ones.
20140125_1026471_zpse8386447.jpg
P1010886.JPG
P1010887.JPG
P1010888.JPG
P1010889.JPG
JL150085.JPG
DW140008.JPG

Yes the big block spool for B and C bodies is what u want. That is if u either get a DC K member or a small block K and move the mounts. Kim

Yes that looks like the correct K frame for putting a BB in an A body with spool mounts. I'd never pay $950 for an NOS frame though since you can make one for much less than that. There is no reason to pay NOS prices for a part that has zero value in the restoration world. That K frame was never used on a production car so NOS doesn't mean much. It should be nice and clean which is cool, most used K frames have some dents or damage to them so I guess that is a plus but that is a lot of money for a K frame. Here is the picture of the K frame that I used in my Duster. I got this K frame for free from a guy who decided to switch to a motor plate. I believe this was a home made version of the DC k frame. It seemed to work just fine in my car, everything fit and lined up properly so whoever built it did a good job.
DSC_0901 (Large).JPG

I tried to sell the BB k frame in the above picture at a swap meet for $200 and nobody wanted it. I also posted it on Moparts and Craigslist for $200 with zero interest. I'm glad I didn't sell it since I ended up using it but that tells you that the market for these things isn't very strong.

I tried to sell the BB k frame in the above picture at a swap meet for $200 and nobody wanted it. I also posted it on Moparts and Craigslist for $200 with zero interest. I'm glad I didn't sell it since I ended up using it but that tells you that the market for these things isn't very strong.
Thanks Andy. This is great info. Nice to know there is not a big market for these. Wish you still had yours for sale. It does look like the guy did a nice job. $950 seemed way to high for the ebay one. Maybe $500-$600? since it is supposedly new never used.

Yeah sure, if I could've bought a brand new DC K frame for $500 I would've done it. I'm not sure I'd pay $950 but $500 for a new one seems fair. If I was building another car I'd find a late model SB K frame that was nice and clean and then send it to Jim Lusk to have him do the conversion. I suppose between buying one, cleaning it, shipping it to Jim and paying him for the work you might have a good solid $500 in it.

$950 is more than triple its real world value and that one looks like one of the poorly built ones (many were really bad). I'll convert one for $200 plus shipping. Shipping is about $50 each way these days. If the k-member is dirty that also includes a day or two in my hot tank. I'm not looking for cores anymore because they are so hard to find, but when I come across one for a good price I will pick them up, which hasn't happened lately. Gone are the days where I could find a complete front end with discs, steering gear, and k-member for $50...

$950 is more than triple its real world value and that one looks like one of the poorly built ones (many were really bad). I'll convert one for $200 plus shipping. Shipping is about $50 each way these days. If the k-member is dirty that also includes a day or two in my hot tank. I'm not looking for cores anymore because they are so hard to find, but when I come across one for a good price I will pick them up, which hasn't happened lately. Gone are the days where I could find a complete front end with discs, steering gear, and k-member for $50...
Thanks for the info. Jim. I will keep your offer in mind if I come across and small block K-Frame. Do you convert the pancake style mount K Frames too?

No, there is no conversion for the early k-members. Best I could do is make a template and see if I could make your slant k-member work, but I haven't modified one so I'm not 100% sure it would work. It wouldn't be just a cut and move job and would be $100 more if successful.

I have seen where somebody took B/C/E body brackets and put them on an A-body k-member, but without a car to mess with the location would be a guess.

Looks like this is the one I need. [FOR SALE] - Direct Connection big block k-frame
No, there is no conversion for the early k-members. Best I could do is make a template and see if I could make your slant k-member work, but I haven't modified one so I'm not 100% sure it would work. It wouldn't be just a cut and move job and would be $100 more if successful.

I have seen where somebody took B/C/E body brackets and put them on an A-body k-member, but without a car to mess with the location would be a guess.
Thanks Jim. I understand.

Looks good to me. If it was local I'd grab it myself.

-
Back