big block manual transmission conversion ?

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
I haven't had time to check into this much but I absolutely hate having an automatic in my big block 69 Valiant and would like to possibly convert it over to some sort of manual tranmission. I have the HDK tubular K and suspension - Dana 60 - Schumaker hearers - bench seat - any suggestion on the eaisest and least expersive way to convert it over 4-5-6 speed what ever possibly in the 2K range total

I can guarantee you that you won't do a 5-6 speed for a k, and you might be hard pressed to do so with a factory 4 speed, unless you are "lucky" at obtaining parts, and THAT won't include a scattershield

I'm not necessarily trying to talk you "out" of this. I've always liked sticks, but I can't handle big clutches anymore.

Consider? a full manual shift valve body?

I can guarantee you that you won't do a 5-6 speed for a k, and you might be hard pressed to do so with a factory 4 speed, unless you are "lucky" at obtaining parts, and THAT won't include a scattershield

I'm not necessarily trying to talk you "out" of this. I've always liked sticks, but I can't handle big clutches anymore.

Consider? a full manual shift valve body?

OK i changed to 2K I just have to have that extra pedal it's in my blood

If you've got an auto now, you probably won't get a 4 speed in there for under $2k. An 833 will set you back at least $500, and that would be for a core still needing a rebuild. A rebuilt 833 will set you back about $1,300 from Brewers or Passon. Big block bell housing? Yeah, probably 400 to $500. Pedals are $100 or more, shift linkage will be at least another $100, shifter mechanism will set you back $200 or more, another $100 or more for the shift handle, 200-$300 for the flywheel, $300 or more for the clutch, $100 or more for a 4 speed hump, $80 or more for a new slip yoke, etc, etc, etc.

Even if you buy all the parts used, rebuild the transmission yourself, have a used flywheel reconditioned, rebuild a used shifter mechanism, etc, you will probably STILL exceed $2k. Maybe not by a lot, but $2k is probably the minimum you'll need to get a swap done. That's why the auto-manual conversion "kits" cost $4k from Brewers. With all new parts that's pretty close to where you'd end up. Figuring that about the best you can do on good used parts is 50% on the cost of new, you're back at $2k. And if you can get all of your parts at 50% the cost of new you're doing really well.

I've collected enough parts to convert most of my cars over to 4 speeds, the Duster is already converted over. Even collecting parts over the course of several years, I've probably got close to $2k into the conversion parts for each car. And all of my cars are small blocks, which saves a few hundred bucks on the bellhousing straight off. And most of the transmissions I've picked up are 833OD's, which usually cost half as much as a regular, non-overdrive 833. And then of course I do all of my work myself, so I'm not paying someone to cut the floor and install the 4 speed hump. Or pull the old trans and install the new one.

Maybe I should have stated this differently my figures would be less the tranny I have did several small block 4 speeds and even used the Kiesler system once I'm more wondering about the bellhousing and clutch linkage -- z bar ect

mopar big block 4 speed bellhousing
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/5281070585.html
this has been on the local Craigslist for a month or two. I'd like to grab it just to have it.
I'd say it's the piece to have. I'm absolutely sure you can do a 4 speed for 2k. Look for package deals - shifter & linkage - pedals & z bar ect... you probably already know the 727 slip yoke fits the a833. :burnout:

-
Back