Big block oiling mods

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Going from the stock 3/8s pick up to 1/2 inch. I take it u just drill and tap inside the block for the 1/2 pick up or do u drill farther in? Do u guys drill out the main to cam holes bigger? What about inside where the oil pump bolts on. This is a 505 that will be shifted at 7000 with Indy SR heads ported to max wedge size. SR heads have oil lines on the rear to oil the rockers. I do also have a single line Milodon oiling system. Thanks for all the pointers. Very much appreciated. Kim. Using a solid roller cam.

Last edited:
Following along, my block had been drilled and tapped for 1/2 inch pick up and the other stuff required to do the rest of the mod.
Sorry, I don't know where or what but....I run a single line so I don't even use the pickup on the block. It is plugged.
I will add that I used .060 restrictors to my rockers and it gets plenty of oil up top to the valve train

I always trusted the diagrams in the Mopar Engine Book .
Tried and true,,,,,it works,,,,and there are many more tips and diagrams to help you build a better Mopar .
Most are not very difficult to do,,,,getting the courage to try is the biggest obstacle.
At least for me,,,,,after a little while,,,you realize you can do it .

Tommy

Following along, my block had been drilled and tapped for 1/2 inch pick up and the other stuff required to do the rest of the mod.
Sorry, I don't know where or what but....I run a single line so I don't even use the pickup on the block. It is plugged.
I will add that I used .060 restrictors to my rockers and it gets plenty of oil up top to the valve train

Moparmaga ,
Did you put the restrictions in the block or the head ?
I was wondering about putting restrictions in the head,,,,actually up in the pedestal,,,on top ?
That way if I needed to swap them out for something bigger,,,,I would only have to pull the rockers ?
Wouldn’t need loctite or anything,,,,the restrictions couldn’t come out,,,,the rocker shafts would hold them .
I don’t know,,,,maybe that’s where people put them already,,,lol .

Tommy

If you have the single line pickup external pan, and the oil pump to go with it, it's a BIG improvement over the internal pickup. Even drilling the factory passage to 1/2" still leaves a abrupt turn right after the threads. Mega restrictive

Drill out hole and tap 1/2" thread the passage above the threads needs to be drilled11/16th and deburred when adding the 1/2" pickup

Moparmaga ,
Did you put the restrictions in the block or the head ?
I was wondering about putting restrictions in the head,,,,actually up in the pedestal,,,on top ?
That way if I needed to swap them out for something bigger,,,,I would only have to pull the rockers ?
Wouldn’t need loctite or anything,,,,the restrictions couldn’t come out,,,,the rocker shafts would hold them .
I don’t know,,,,maybe that’s where people put them already,,,lol .

Tommy
Drilled and tapped into the heads, used carburetor air bleeds, in the pedestal, with a little red loctite, I think the rocker studs I have would definitely hold them from going anywhere else besides where they are.
Great thinking!!!

Drilled and tapped into the heads, used carburetor air bleeds, in the pedestal, with a little red loctite, I think the rocker studs I have would definitely hold them from going anywhere else besides where they are.
did you drill the main oil passages on the passenger side to 9/32.

Ya' might check this thread...........

Just run the single line external set up alone.

I run a dual line if I am intending to run over 7500 RPMs.

I do not restrict any passages or increase the size of the main to
the camshaft holes. We did 60 years ago but found zero benefit.

Just the way we build ours for last 50 years.

If someone were to run an in pan pickup at what point/rpm would the 1/2 be beneficial?

On a 505 rb motor. 6000/6500 max rpm.

Sorry for the thread hijack but sort of related.

Going from the stock 3/8s pick up to 1/2 inch. I take it u just drill and tap inside the block for the 1/2 pick up or do u drill farther in? Do u guys drill out the main to cam holes bigger? What about inside where the oil pump bolts on. This is a 505 that will be shifted at 7000 with Indy SR heads ported to max wedge size. SR heads have oil lines on the rear to oil the rockers. I do also have a single line Milodon oiling system. Thanks for all the pointers. Very much appreciated. Kim. Using a solid roller cam.cont forget to
don't forget to plug the original pick up hole if using the external pick up-------

One detail to check is the opening of the pickup tube .

Many years ago I read where that big block Mopars were bad about spinning main bearings !
I thought,,,,What ! ,,,,how is that possible ?

I finally found out how it could happen a few years ago .
I had modified the oiling passage for the pickup and the 90 degree bend at the pump .
I drilled and tapped the hole to 1/2 inch pipe ,,,,and I use a carbide burr and really relieve the inner 90 so the oil doesn’t lose much velocity in the turn .

Well,,I decided to reuse the pickup,,,,it was plenty big enough for our project.
I just cut the threaded end off and was gonna weld an adapter on the tube .
Lo and behold,,,,I found a real problem .
When they had threaded the tube from the factory,,,,,the inner arbor was not present to prevent the tube from closing in .
The inside of the tube was about the size of a #2 pencil,,,,,,no way to pass very much oil .

Anyway,,,,that has got to be a reason for some bearing problems from the factory .
When you have any old engines apart,,,,,take a light and look down in there,,,,you never know what you might see .

Tommy

If someone were to run an in pan pickup at what point/rpm would the 1/2 be beneficial?

On a 505 rb motor. 6000/6500 max rpm.

Sorry for the thread hijack but sort of related.

On a 6500 stroker engine = I still run a single line external
lines as it is day and night more efficient.

Engines are expensive to build, and now you can buy external line
pieces from 440 source and other knock offs way cheaper than the original
Milodon pieces. They are not high tech pieces and not that expensive.

I do have a Milodon single like system with dyno time only. Just I don’t think the line we I’ll go between the block and the motor mount. Spool mounts on a DC style K member. Kim

I have trimmed/modified motor mounts several times for
clearance on these systems. If you could make it work = It would be worth the
struggle.

Going from the stock 3/8s pick up to 1/2 inch. I take it u just drill and tap inside the block for the 1/2 pick up or do u drill farther in? Do u guys drill out the main to cam holes bigger? What about inside where the oil pump bolts on. This is a 505 that will be shifted at 7000 with Indy SR heads ported to max wedge size. SR heads have oil lines on the rear to oil the rockers. I do also have a single line Milodon oiling system. Thanks for all the pointers. Very much appreciated. Kim. Using a solid roller cam.
I'd also use the single line external pick-up. A std output pump will work. I like to ream the oiling holes to the mains and deburr/radius all passages. I like full time rocker oiling and most cams I see have that cut/groove. you can restrict the feed hole in the block via drill/tap for NPT fittings each bank depending on what rocker system you use.

I do have a Milodon single like system with dyno time only. Just I don’t think the line we I’ll go between the block and the motor mount. Spool mounts on a DC style K member. Kim
With my stock k-member I had to notch my steering box mount and I used a engine plate.
It could just been my specific line. Also, I run the milodon super stock pan, with swinging pick up.

I'd also use the single line external pick-up. A std output pump will work. I like to ream the oiling holes to the mains and deburr/radius all passages. I like full time rocker oiling and most cams I see have that cut/groove. you can restrict the feed hole in the block via drill/tap for NPT fittings each bank depending on what rocker system you use.
If I’m not mistaken I think my Indy SRs are full time oiling as they have external lines at the rear that is plumbed into the oil holes at the top rear of the block. I could be thinking wrong though I suppose. Probably the MP blue rockers or the old Hughes rockers that Pro Comp made exclusively for Hughes. Kim

Last edited:
If I’m not mistaken I think my Indy SRs are full time oiling as they have external lines at the rear that is plumbed into the oil holes at the top rear of the block. I could be thinking wrong though I suppose. Probably the MP blue rockers or the old Hughes rockers that Pro Comp made exclusively for Hughes. Kim

You are correct. That’s full time oil to the rockers.

-
Back