Big Block Strokers - How big should we go?

-
I like the 540 stuff....7.100" Rod, good geometry for the smaller CC Heads.
We don't use the "SR" Heads too much anymore, they do work....but require a lot of Porting.... I just don't like doing that much Porting anymore(I am getting Old)....you can go BUY better these days than paying me, easier both ways, and CHEAPER.
That said...
here's the 540 "SR" Headed deal we built for Cliff Rau after refreshening in 2010, just before in runner'd up in Super Pro at the Las Vegas "Mopars at the Strip" Show.

Keep in mind...we originally built this Engine is 15 YEARS AGO now !!
We just keep "freshening" it about every 3-4 seasons, runs 8's.
849hp/749Ft/Lbs.

Bob @ rmp Racing Engines, Jaffray, B.C. Canada
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWhkC4dAI0"]Dyno Plus Services / Dodge 540 - YouTube[/ame]

How much CR on that 540 and how big is the carb? My 540 is ready for the dyno, will run as soon as they fix their superflow.

13.9 CR
440-1 heads flow 370 @700
Indy R2 cam (700 lift @1.6, 283* @050)

I have a 1250 Holley for now to get it across the dyno.

How much CR on that 540 and how big is the carb? My 540 is ready for the dyno, will run as soon as they fix their superflow.

13.9 CR
440-1 heads flow 370 @700
Indy R2 cam (700 lift @1.6, 283* @050)

I have a 1250 Holley for now to get it across the dyno.

* 1050 4500 series, list #8896 progressive
* Static CR 13.7:1, but off a custom Piston dome built from a "negative" Chamber Mold I supplied on the worked chambers
* Custom Roller Cam under .675" Lift(easier on springs), and we found no point going higher on the still present pushrod pinch with the SR's, which I could not overcome without welding....and no point making an SR into a 440-1

Yours should run like a champ ! Keep us posted !

Bob @ rmp Racing Engines, Jaffray, B.C.

Sorry to hear about your mega block. Good luck with the convertor swap!

Well... I'm bringing this thread back to life... we broke a rod at MMW on sunday and it looks like the short block is junk. Haven't taken everything apart but it doesn't look good.

Hey Keith... not sure yet but we need to build a new short block for sure. Not sure if this block can be saved... Dad pulled the head and pulled out the piston out. It looks like maybe a head gasket failed and it hydrauliced that cylinder.

Hey Keith... not sure yet but we need to build a new short block for sure. Not sure if this block can be saved... Dad pulled the head and pulled out the piston out. It looks like maybe a head gasket failed and it hydrauliced that cylinder.

Go bigger this time. :)

So it looks like we might go with the 440 source 512 kit. 30 over it will be 505ci. We want to run this motor on pump gas but the chambers in our 440sr's are only 60cc's. Looks like the comp will be 11.5 which I think will be ok with 94 octane which is not too hard to find and a lot cheaper then 110.

Next step will be finding a new block.

Also the cam choice be important. We will go solid roller so if anyone has any recommendations I'd like to hear them.

So it looks like we might go with the 440 source 512 kit. 30 over it will be 505ci. We want to run this motor on pump gas but the chambers in our 440sr's are only 60cc's. Looks like the comp will be 11.5 which I think will be ok with 94 octane which is not too hard to find and a lot cheaper then 110. Next step will be finding a new block. Also the cam choice be important. We will go solid roller so if anyone has any recommendations I'd like to hear them.
Can't help you on the cam specs but from personal experience a custom cam will get you more than any over the counter cam. :burnout:

-
Back