Big bolt pattern and disk brake conversion

-
Different caliper?I don't think you're getting what I'm asking. So I'm going after 73 to 76 a bodies for parts and find a drum brake car. Are the control arms and knuckle any use to me with trying to convert my early a body to big bolt pattern and disk.
I'm done. I don't know how many ways to repeat that the drum and disc spindles are different, along with most of the other parts. You need all of it. C' ya.

I'm done. I don't know how many ways to repeat that the drum and disc spindles are different, along with most of the other parts. You need all of it. C' ya.

Aww man, we haven't even brought up pulling the spindles from an FMJ car yet!

Aww man, we haven't even brought up pulling the spindles from an FMJ car yet!
:rofl:

And y'know, the funny thing is if all he wants is big bolt circle he could even use your late drum setup that you mentioned above... and wouldn't even have to swap out the master and distribution block or anything else... but I ain't going there. Oops, I guess I just did.

:rofl:And y'know, if all he wants is big bolt circle he could even use your late drum setup that you mentioned above... and wouldn't even have to swap out the master and distribution block or anything else...

I haven't tried it, things would get a little tricky because I'm not sure that all the earlier B body drum spindles used the same wheel bearings as the later A-body spindles. And the A-body hubs were SBP, so they couldn't use the B-body drums. I know you can straight up use B-body drum spindles and drums and convert to BBP that way, but you need so many parts its not worth it and you can just buy the BBP disk stuff.

As I'm thinking about it, I don't think you can mix and match the B-body drum stuff with the 73+ A body drum spindles. There's a Viper disk kit that DoctorDiff sells, and depending on which drum spindle you have- '62-72 B or 73-76 A, there are different rotors needed. So different bearing diameters I think, so the BBP B-body drum hubs might not fit the 73+ A body drum spindles (even if some of the other brake parts do).

Viper Caliper Mounting Brackets for Mopar DRUM Knuckles

*pushes in wheelbarrow full of greasy gunky FMJ spindles*

hey y'all what're we talking about?

no, seriously, i have like a wheelbarrow full

I love the FMJ spindles. Lighter casting, better camber for use with wide front tires. Already have them on my Duster and my Challenger though, think I have a spare set too.

I haven't tried it, things would get a little tricky because I'm not sure that all the earlier B body drum spindles used the same wheel bearings as the later A-body spindles. And the A-body hubs were SBP, so they couldn't use the B-body drums. I know you can straight up use B-body drum spindles and drums and convert to BBP that way, but you need so many parts its not worth it and you can just buy the BBP disk stuff.

As I'm thinking about it, I don't think you can mix and match the B-body drum stuff with the 73+ A body drum spindles. There's a Viper disk kit that DoctorDiff sells, and depending on which drum spindle you have- '62-72 B or 73-76 A, there are different rotors needed. So different bearing diameters I think, so the BBP B-body drum hubs might not fit the 73+ A body drum spindles (even if some of the other brake parts do).

Viper Caliper Mounting Brackets for Mopar DRUM Knuckles

I love the FMJ spindles. Lighter casting, better camber for use with wide front tires. Already have them on my Duster and my Challenger though, think I have a spare set too.
I do seem to remember something about a bearing or seal spacer for the B body hubs on the late A spindle, now that you mention it. I've never bothered to try, though. Would seem easier just to use the whole B body spindle with the late UCA. I know we did something similar back in our dirt tracking days, but my memory's kinda hazy on the particulars. Heck, that's been forty years... or more.

-
Back