Big Brake Kits?

-

charger426

Reaction score
Are there any big brake kits out there for stock front end A-bodies? I've come across several pages that list ones that haven't been in stock for years (Dr. Diff. and AREngineering to name a couple). Thinking about moving up from the ScareBird set up I put on a couple of years ago and was hoping to get something like the 6-piston with 14" rotors BEAR does for B and E bodies. Seems like the closest thing is Wilwood 4-piston with 12" rotors. Have Wilwood on the 69 Charger and they seem to really stink unless you get them HOT even with their softest pads.

Short of going with a full on new front end from say RMS is there a way to get legit big brakes on our cars?

Absolutely. I use Doctor Diff's 13" "cobra style" brakes on my Duster. He calls them his "stage 3" set up now. Great set up, works with the 73+ disk spindles or the later FMJ spindles. Mopar Cobra-style 13" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 3) He also sells the 13" kit with Brembo calipers, that's a little more expensive but you go from the 2 piston PBR calipers to the 4 piston brembo's. Looks like the brembo (stage 4) version of the kit is out of stock, but the stage 3 kit is in stock.

Either of those set ups requires a 17" rim though, as would pretty much every big brake kit with rotors larger than 12". The largest rotors you could run with 15" rims would be ~12", and there are probably 15" rims out there that wouldn't work with some of those kits. If I was going to do that I would just use the later B/R 11.75" mopar rotors, they actually provide a pretty good improvement in braking over the 10.95" 73+ disks. DoctorDiff sells that set up as his "stage 2" kit, which is also in stock Mopar 11.75" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 2) I ran those brakes on my Challenger for over 60k miles and had them paired up with 275/40/17's front and rear. Car stopped very well. I also ran them on my Duster before I went to the 13" brakes. The 13" brakes are definitely an improvement, but the 11.75's were no slouch either. You can also run the later B/E body calipers with those, they have a 2.75" piston compared to the 73+ A-body calipers which used a 2.6" piston.

These are the 13" stage 3 brakes on my Duster
IMG_2992_zps0wh93s2y.jpg

IMG_1827_zps83ba8205.jpg

I just got a 13" Cobra kit from Dr. Diff last week. Cass said he had a few in stock. Just FYI if you order the Rotors come separate as they are made to order. I think his 13"/Cobra (Dual Piston PBR) caliper combo is a great street set up and the price is right.

Baer is nice but damn they have become proud of them. I didn't like what Wilwood had to offer.

-
Back