Big horsepower 318 builds

-
I’m stalled on them like all projects around here - LMAO - grooooooannnn - LOL

They will be coupled with a small Howard’s cam. 220*’s@050 - 540 lift - 108/104 installed intake on a stock 5.9 short block with a RPM/750/Hooker 1–3/4 Super Comp headers - 2-1/2 exhaust.
2500 stall 727/3.55’s in a ‘79 Magnum.

Sounds stout enough to be a legit coffee spiller

So quick question.

There's a few "brand x" 5.3 builds up on YouTube by our beloved Richard holdener. In his usual style he gets a junkyard engine and tops it with heads cam and intake to get to a desired power level.

In one of them he's getting 500+ with a pretty mild BTR hydraulic roller. Granted he's running some pretty nice heads and a well matched intake.

But the cams are pretty small. Like less than 230 deg if I recall correctly.

I know it's not a totally apples to apples comparison but it seems like the 5.2 318 could do similar things. Is it just down to heads cam and intake or is there more to it? Could a well sorted out set of heads and a nicely matched intake get close? What heads would you choose to start with?

That seems a lot of power for such a small cam.

So quick question.

There's a few "brand x" 5.3 builds up on YouTube by our beloved Richard holdener. In his usual style he gets a junkyard engine and tops it with heads cam and intake to get to a desired power level.

In one of them he's getting 500+ with a pretty mild BTR hydraulic roller. Granted he's running some pretty nice heads and a well matched intake.

I know it's not a totally apples to apples comparison but it seems like the 5.2 318 could do similar things. Is it just down to heads cam and intake or is there more to it? Could a well sorted out set of heads and a nicely matched intake get close? What heads would you choose to start with?

The LS heads are far better than most heads for a SBM.

So quick question.

What you are saying is what is true of any engine. Heads, induction and camshaft.
There are 300 inch comp eliminator motors that make 800 horse or thereabouts. Mopar short deck W8 deals.
Really the only variables are bore and stroke as to the limiters to the output.
To me, the big limiter with the 318 is bore size, it’s friggin tiny. It’s a block of wood under the gas pedal.
I think that enginemasters mill that I bought could make 550 with the right parts, using the same heads.
More compression, better intake, and a serious roller. That intake was a knockoff dual plane used on the dyno. Definately lots of room for improvement there, just for starters.
Had I kept the car, would have been interesting to try, but wife said no to a cage in that car, so I was already pretty much needing one already when I sold.

Last edited:
So quick question.

My guess it's mainly down to the heads, I'm think probably due to velocity and maybe the exhaust port is playing a role. I've been trying to figure it out also, lately.

So quick question.

Some of those LS heads are just that good. They really are.

What you are saying is what is true of any engine. Heads, induction and camshaft.
There are 300 inch comp eliminator motors that make 800 horse or thereabouts. Mopar short deck W8 deals.
Really the only variables are bore and stroke as to the limiters to the output.
To me, the big limiter with the 318 is bore size, it’s friggin tiny. It’s a block of wood under the gas pedal.
318 bore is smaller but I wouldn't call it tiny it's 94% of a 340's and 96% of a 360's.

My guess it's mainly down to the heads, I'm think probably due to velocity and maybe the exhaust port is playing a role. I've been trying to figure it out also, lately.

There's one set all the LS boys swear by. They are more "cathedral" ports than some of the rest. I don't know which exact ones, but that's the skinny. Some of the Dodge truck V10 heads had similar ports.

318 bore is smaller but I wouldn't call it tiny it's 94% of a 340's and 96% of a 360's.

It’s tiny. 3.91 is tiny.
Even the old Chevy 302 motor had a 4 inch bore.
You can fix stroke, you can’t do much with bore.
By your way of figuring, a 2.08 valve is 96% of a 2.15 valve.
Thankfully they used a 2.150 on the smallblock Victor heads, even though it’s only 4% bigger..lol

3.91" bore is 0.020" bigger bore than the 5.7 LS that them chevy boys love has.

'

It’s tiny. 3.91 is tiny.
Even the old Chevy 302 motor had a 4 inch bore.
You can fix stroke, you can’t do much with bore.
I guess it's all how you look it, to me a 273 bore is tiny, compared to that I see 318/360/340 bores being similar in size and all are tiny compared to 383/440/400 bores. A 3.98" bore would be half way between a 273's 3.625 and a 400's 4.34" bores so I see 318/360/340 as mid size bores.

There's one set all the LS boys swear by. They are more "cathedral" ports than some of the rest. I don't know which exact ones, but that's the skinny. Some of the Dodge truck V10 heads had similar ports.
Think it's 706 heads. And I think they only flow like 230-240 cfm and they seem to get well into the 400's hp with fairly small durations like 212 to 226 but with .550-.650"+ lifts and fairly wide lsa 112-116.

Think it's 706 heads. And I think they only flow like 230-240 cfm and they seem to get well into the 400's hp with fairly small durations like 212 to 226 but with .550-.650"+ lifts and fairly wide lsa 112-116.
That's probably the ones.....but I know zero about LS stuff and plan on keepin it that way.

Just curious, trickflows? How much cam? I would like to 392 my 318 eventually (way in the future)
Heavily ported Edelbrocks...solid roller cam but I don't remember the numbers.
In truth, it was professionally built at Indy in Southern California...but I have the dyno sheet to prove it!

Damn I gotta put that car back together soon!

Jeff
20240525_143001.jpg
20240527_101347.jpg

Heavily ported Edelbrocks...solid roller cam but I don't remember the numbers.
In truth, it was professionally built at Indy in Southern California...but I have the dynamic sheet to prove it!

Damn I gotta put that car back together soon!

Jeff
View attachment 1716280938View attachment 1716280939

No sheet needed, i beleive you... i was just curious :) I only want like 350-400hp... just a stop light fun car :)

No sheet needed, i beleive you... i was just curious :) I only want like 350-400hp... just a stop light fun car :)
If you can't make that with trick flows even with a mild ish cam something is wrong.

A stock longblock 5.9l magnum makes 350 hp with 4bbl headers and a 212 cam and 400 hp with a 230 cam and 5.2l also does but with 10:1.

If you can't make that with trick flows even with a mild ish cam something is wrong.

A stock longblock 5.9l magnum makes 350 hp with 4bbl headers and a 212 cam and 400 hp with a 230 cam and 5.2l also does but with 10:1.
i like just a hint of power... don't want to be all showy :)

i like just a hint of power... don't want to be all showy :)
THere are so many people (Some on this forum even) that overbuild and then can't or don't drive their car because they can't keep the tires under it. Remember the old days when a guy with a mild small block could wax the tire smoking monster from light to light. 350-400 horsepower is all you need and can use.

THere are so many people (Some on this forum even) that overbuild and then can't or don't drive their car because they can't keep the tires under it. Remember the old days when a guy with a mild small block could wax the tire smoking monster from light to light.
That's why i have 10.5" tires and low power... i know my limitations :)

Everybody is racing on here (or so it seems) :) when was the last "I want to rebuild my (fil l in the blank) engine to stock specs" Thread? Id say do that first get that down then graduate to Ricky racer...does anybody know what Overhaul, rebuild, balance and blueprint really mean these days? Its actually 3 different things.

First, I know UTG has been wrong on a few topics, but it's usually minor or is corrected sometimes. I don't agree with everything he says, so most of it is entertainment to me.

Second, He never said the timing chain broke.

Third, he said that he could be wrong and it's just his assumption of what may have happened, which was the timing chain being too tight that could effect things.

Fourth, whether it's intended or accidental you are putting words in someones mouth when you rely on your misunderstood memory. Even I need to fact check myself sometime so I don't make false or misinformed claims. And remember, there are other content creators here, you could accidentally make false claims about them too.
You are barking up the wrong tree kid...

THere are so many people (Some on this forum even) that overbuild and then can't or don't drive their car because they can't keep the tires under it. Remember the old days when a guy with a mild small block could wax the tire smoking monster from light to light. 350-400 horsepower is all you need and can use.
Absolutely....all the power is useless without traction.
My engine has way more power than I need...but it's nice to have if I need it...plus, it's just my toy car.....

Jeff

Sounds stout enough to be a legit coffee spiller :thumbsup:
LOL! Well, it ain’t too bad now. I’m just looking for the small increase in power & RPM. I’ll slide the heads on at a later date.
I’ll hit the strip in a little while. I’d like to wire in some gauges first.
Can change second, then head swap.
Track times and a few “IMO” while hopefully adding in some “Track Facts” of the changes. I’m hoping to keep a little busy with that while I address the ‘71 Duster for a higher level of fun.
Hay man, you're in Florida now. You gotta lose that NY accent. lol Nice video.

Well! That’s not likely to happen since I spent the first 55-1/3 years of my life on Long Island. (LMAO!) The accent isn’t likely to go anywhere anytime soon. You’re just going to have to grin and bear it.

Funny thing is, after hearing myself on the first few videos, I realized I needed to improve my elocution for the rest of the nation. It’s not easy. I’ll never sound like a TV news caster unless I take lessons. I’d rather spend it on speed parts and drag strip runs myself.

So quick question.

Yes and no. It’s a lot of boost. Double the sea level psi into the engine and you now have twice the engine size. 5.3 turns into a 10.6. Now how hard is it to make power with an engine size that large?

The OEM cylinder head for the early engines even ported is behind a modern LS. Sub it out for a better head & add the rest like Rich does and you’ll make power.

Stone stock 340 with air gap, 750dp, headers and a good loose ignition curve and you're all over it.

-
Back