Big inch hemi exhaust design input

-

ratbastad

Reaction score
Hey guy, I'm interested in your thoughts as to the exhaust system that I'm proposing for my street/strip 572" , 11:1 CR Hemi A body.

We know Hemis dont like restriction much but a little may be needed to shut this thing up to respectable/legals levels over here.

The Hemi made 845HP at 6500 rpm and 770TQ at 5300rpm. THE challenge is to keep the cars noise under 96dB at 3500 rpm (a tall order,we have strict noise regs here) when tested without choking it yet allow decent breathing for street use. At the track it will be uncorked a distance after the collectors anyway.

I have TTI 2 1/4" primary tube headers with 3.5" collectors. The TTI collectors leave a bit to be desired IMO so I may cut them off and add merged collectors - we will see.

The tank is a FUEL CELL in the trunk so I have the extra clearance at the car's rear for a second set of mufflers.

The round header collectors gradually merge into nice 3.5" oval tubing (for good ground clearance) with a nice radiused X crossover, oval in/out. After the X/before the rear end I may/may not add a pressure wave termination box if I have the room. If not, I will likely run 3.5" inlet/3" outlet Dynomax Ultra Flows and reduce to 3" mandrel bends over the rear end then to dual 3" in/out Ultra Flows just before the rear bumper.

Having the mufflers right at the end of the exhaust will further quieten it. I know the flow specs of the mufflers will do the job and im looking at stepping it down to 3" over the rear end to the back of the car as the gases will have cooled after the first set of mufflers and the 3" pipes will be a little quieter I believe along with allowing for room for other components.

How loud do you feel this system may be (hard to guess i know) and do you feel that long case Walker Super Turbos instead of the Ultra Flows (I think a 16" case should fit length wise, if there is room poss an 18" case) would flow enough on the street yet keep the car relatively quiet. I will have header dumps added when I've figured out exactly where to put them for the strip and to maximise pulse tuning.

I'd appreciate your thoughts/input as I'd like to find the right mufflers the first time (Im in Australia) and order them soon.

Fire away fellas....... :glasses7:

Your on the right track.I had the Ultra-flow round mufflers,they musta been 3 feet long!!
I redid the exhaust with 4 inch stainless with an "X" pipe and hooker aerochambers.
I WILL say I'm very happy with the results!!:D

Attachments

• 6.17.14 044.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 6.17.14 045.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 6.22.14 008.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 6.22.14 009.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 254
Nice ride there - 4" would be best for flow for me but noise/ground clearance takes a hammering :D

As always with a street/strip car everything is a compromise.

Yours must be really LOUD !! :D

You would be surprised how good it sounds until you hit the go switch:burnout:

We could be going down the road at 60 MPH and carry a conversation with no yelling:blob:

Having seen and heard his car in person though some years ago (Bellmore train station) it is what he said it is. The dual muffler system is a great idea. IF you find it restrictive during some, eh, "Zest filled driving moments", think about electric dumps. Hit the switch and have the exhaust open up before the second set of mufflers and dump it at the axle.

Nice ride there - 4" would be best for flow for me but noise/ground clearance takes a hammering :D

As always with a street/strip car everything is a compromise.

Yours must be really LOUD !! :D

it might be doable with 4" the biggest isue being groundclearence.

IMHO i cant say anything about decibels but i can say that i know of 2 first gen camaros with very very mean largecube bigblocks that are surprisingly quiet.

the first one is the all famous Värlsmästar camaron,yes its a very humble name for what used to be the worlds fastest streetcar.
there might be some pics of the exhaust on this page:

https://sv-se.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Street-602-Världsmästarcamaron/193466807349318

there is also what is known as the nightshift camaro can bee seen and heard in this video its the blown White camaro
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHPdTWv_xM"]Stockholm Open 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

both runnning basicly the same kind of exhaust. BIG dual exhaust to above the reaend where it splits into 4pipes feeding 4 round 3" straight thru mufflers(no they are not anywhere near bullets they are apple mufflers with a fullbody size17½x6 1/4"body). surprisingly quiet under low load and still not all that loud under power. hope it helps alitle even if the samples are chevys and might not be best known for there legal racingcareers.

Hey 1 Fast 340, I checed out the FB page but no exhaust pics. Im very interested in this; do you know anywhere else that there may be some pics?

Thx ;)

Hey 1 Fast 340, I checed out the FB page but no exhaust pics. Im very interested in this; do you know anywhere else that there may be some pics?

Thx ;)

will look some more i know i have seen it somewhere just not sure where :banghead:

These two cars where both trying to fly under the radar so to speek for quite some time..

Thx ;)

found a thread with some pics showing alitle of the exhaust of the red camaro but no real good pics of the exhaust even thought the exhaust can be seen in some of the pics from inside the car it even has a H-pipe
you may not understand the language but the pics are there and you will just need to find the numbers on the bottom of the page to go to the next page.
http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34369

found a thread with some pics showing alitle of the exhaust of the red camaro but no real good pics of the exhaust even thought the exhaust can be seen in some of the pics from inside the car it even has a H-pipe
you may not understand the language but the pics are there and you will just need to find the numbers on the bottom of the page to go to the next page.
http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34369

Sweet !!

Thanx man !!

-
Back