bigger disk brakes

-

rjones

Reaction score
I am wanting to change my front disk brakes on my !972 Dart they have disks on them now but they are the smaller disks, what year is compadible and what year did they go to the bigger disk set up and what makes and models will work with the 72 front end

As far as A body brakes are concerned, yours are about as good as it got, although they have some drawbacks today (small bolt pattern, parts availability). In 1973 Mopar changed the disk brake cars to the larger wheel bolt pattern (5 on 4.5" vs. 5 on 4"), but kept 11" rotors. This was done as a cost cutting measure allowing greater parts interchangeability among platforms. Late 70's B and R bodies used larger 11.75" rotors which can be fitted to the 73-up spindles using the appropriate caliper brackets.

A good place to start is here: http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

If you need even bigger brakes, of want to keep your small bolt pattern, you are stuck using aftermarket stuff.

I have seen drilled & slotted rotors which would help, also better brake pads, other than cheapo($12/set) organics.

,Cliff

I am wanting to change my front disk brakes on my !972 Dart they have disks on them now but they are the smaller disks, what year is compadible and what year did they go to the bigger disk set up and what makes and models will work with the 72 front end

I guess my question for you would be: WHY?

The small bolt pattern Kelsey Hayes disc setup works extremely well, as long as you maintain the system. There are people out in your area running SBP disc setups regularly, in auto-cross competitions and road racing.

The SBP rotors are easily available now and cheap too. Rock Auto lists Kelsey Hayes rotors (Centric) for a 1970 Dart @ $18.27 each BEFORE applying the discount code. The calipers are listed @ $50 each with a $75 core charge, but you can find these calipers for $68 or so without cores, and Raybestos has calipers loaded with new hardware and pads for ~ $92. For extra cost, calipers are also available with stainless, no rust pitting sleeves.

Firm Feel makes race ready SBP Kelsey - Hayes disc pads, and heavy duty brake linings for the 8 3/4 SBP rear axle, that will do a great job stopping your car. People are road racing with the SBP Kelsey-Hayes setup and doing well.

SBP wheel choices are limited, however there are decent wheels out there in SBP, including Coys, among others.

The best alternative - if you are determined to go LBP - is to stick with the factory LBP parts, to keep expenses down, and for best availability of replacement parts.

Remember, when you go LBP, factor in all the costs, and you will see that the expenses mount up, including the cost of either re-drilling or substituting new for the rear axle SBP and replacing the wheels with LBP.

It all adds up.

Your car will perform very well with SBP, with the correct parts, and many continue to run that setup with great success.

Dick at Firm Feel is a great source of knowledge of SBP Kelsey Hayes disc and Abody suspension setups.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but be certain to consider the total expenses required to go LBP, not just the cost of getting the LBP spindles,etc. off a LBP Mopar.

-
Back