Bigger K Member for BB Swap?

-

Slugger8985

Reaction score
Putting together a little parts list to finally get started on my 66 Valiant project and after reading a ton of posts in various forums it seems like the debate still rages on. Do I need to swap K-members if I am putting a BB into my Valiant or will some Schumacher BB spool mounts work just fine? Thanks y'all!

Putting together a little parts list to finally get started on my 66 Valiant project and after reading a ton of posts in various forums it seems like the debate still rages on. Do I need to swap K-members if I am putting a BB into my Valiant or will some Schumacher BB spool mounts work just fine? Thanks y'all!
You have a couple options. There is no "bigger" k-frame. Its all mount related

First: You can use the Schumacher mounts, some of which require cutting a drilling but its minor.
2nd: cut off your mounts and use an engine plate
3rd: Build/Find a Direct Connection Big Block K frame
4th: Upgrade to tubular K (RMS, Gerst, HDK etc)

Schumacher mounts will work just fine.

You have a couple options. There is no "bigger" k-frame. Its all mount related

First: You can use the Schumacher mounts, some of which require cutting a drilling but its minor. should be bolt in deal with a early abody.

2nd: cut off your mounts and use an engine plate you can but there is no real need to..

3rd: Build/Find a Direct Connection Big Block K frame wont work in an early a

4th: Upgrade to tubular K (RMS, Gerst, HDK etc) nothing wrong with that.. :)

Schumacher mounts will work just fine.

some of that is wrong information.. he is talking about a 66 not a 67-up...

a 63-66 abody uses the same k-frame for a slant or small block. get the right mounts, the v-8 center link and bolt the big block in the *****.. no need to change the k-frame..

'63-66 A-Body B/RB Installation

Last edited:
some of that is wrong information.. he is talking about a 66 not a 67-up...

a 63-66 abody uses the same k-frame for a slant or small block. get the right mounts, th ev-8 center link and bolt the big block in the *****.. no need to change the k-frame..

'63-66 A-Body B/RB Installation

yep, i misread it, I was thinking 68, sorry. Only thing that really changes is option 2&3.

Several different ways to do it. I have a DC type K frame that came with my Duster. I'm not going to use it since I switched to motor plate so I'll probably sell this one at the next swap meet. The DC K frame is a nice way to go for the later cars since it looks stock, but some guys prefer the motor plate look. I'm not a huge fan of the conversion mounts since they never seem to line up quite right for me. I think the biggest problem with the early cars is the exhaust system so good luck there.
DSC_0901 (Large).JPG

Several different ways to do it. I have a DC type K frame that came with my Duster. I'm not going to use it since I switched to motor plate so I'll probably sell this one at the next swap meet. The DC K frame is a nice way to go for the later cars since it looks stock, but some guys prefer the motor plate look. I'm not a huge fan of the conversion mounts since they never seem to line up quite right for me. I think the biggest problem with the early cars is the exhaust system so good luck there.
View attachment 1715251789

Yeah that's what I've read. The exhaust has to be custom done because the clearance issue. That's fine I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

Other than that is there any other sort of issues that arise out of the Slanty to BB swap?

not really.. you have the fire wall seam/ 727 interference but thats east to take car of. trans is bolt in. ofcourse you want to upgrade the brakes and all. i ran 383 torsion bars in it to steady it out on the street and still give it decent weight transfer at the track... i actually thought the car was easier to work on with the 440 in it then it was with the 360 in it.

Get some HD torsion bars and at a minimum disc brakes to stop the beast

Tornado trans with adapter and mount that ***** in the trunk.

It's a way of life.

I see an issue with going /6 to BB.
Snappened neck syndrome.
Just wear a neck brace when you drive the car. Also be ready for a perminate smile.

Last edited:
-
Back