Biggest distributor issue I find

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
No one ever oils the advance cam, and this is the results.
DSC01775.JPG
DSC01776.JPG

Went to a swap meet yesterday, found this distributer with dual reluctor's . Never knew they made them, apparently they made them in 1977, just never saw them before !

005.jpg

Same distributor that came in my 86 Ram with 360. Mines not a lean burn. It has the vacuum can too. Just a dual pick up distributor. Uses signal from one to start, then a relay swithes it to the other one to run. Pita if you ask me

Think the lean burns were the ones with dual pick up and no vacuum can. 80s they used the dual pickup with vacuum advance and std electronic box. At least all of the ones I've seen were that way. The dual pick up that came in mine had to be set at about 25° initial. Only has about 10 or 12° mechanical in it. Plus the fact it's got 2 pick ups, 2 connectors, and that little relay switch that can go bad. It worked ok but I went with a ready to run chinese hei. Soon as this one craps out, I'm gonna switch to a single pick up distributor and decent box. Never had many problems with the std electronic ignition, even though everyone says they're no good now days

Bummer, a shot of WD40 every 3000 miles would have prevented that but good. I guess The great white north may get more moisture than this desert I call So. Cal.

That felt under the rotor should get a few drops of motor oil on it once a year or every 12k. Most do knot know about it that is why I posted this thread,

That felt under the rotor should get a few drops of motor oil on it once a year or every 12k. Most do knot know about it that is why I posted this thread,
I never seen "Oil the Distributor every ***" in any owners manual. Just sayin! LMAO!

Looks like Lean burn but didn't think they had vac advance.
Lean burns did not have a vacuum advance canister. The computer on the air cleaner had the vacuum advance canister.

Those lean burns were great on Cordoba or something when they worked right, problem was, they never worked right.lol I usually ended up just putting an old single point dizzy in and never had anymore trouble

Those lean burns were great on Cordoba or something when they worked right, problem was, they never worked right.lol I usually ended up just putting an old single point dizzy in and never had anymore trouble
I had one in an 82 New Yorker, it sucked. Got an 85 Fifth Ave that was owned by a priest, it ran flawlessly, I miss that car, it ran like a top.

I never seen "Oil the Distributor every ***" in any owners manual. Just sayin! LMAO!

It is amazing sometimes! am not sure if it is in the tune up section to oil the older distributors with the cups on them for the main shafts, the newer I think 68 and up get the oil from the bottom by splash from the oil drive gear which the holes are usually full of crap also.

Last edited:
From FSManual.
Two types of distributors are used. One type (with
double breaker points) is provided with an oil cup.
When servicing breaker points apply 3 to 5 drops of
light engine oil in the cup.
Distributors without the oil cup have permanent
lubrication and no periodic lubrication is required.
Whenever breaker points are serviced, lubricate
MyMopar.com
0-12 LUBRICATION AND MAINTENANCE 0
cam surfaces. Wipe old lubricant from cam and rub- bing block (Fig. 16) and apply a thin film of Cam
Lubricant, Part Number 1473595, or equivalent. At
this time, apply 1 drop of light engine oil to felt wick
under rotor.

CAUTION: Avoid oversiling and applying an excet
rive amount of cam lubricant to prevent lub

Last edited by a moderator:
Commonest problem I've found is the "blade" at the base of the dizzy wears, as does the slot in the oil drive, causing fluctuating timing, at idle and at very hi rpm.. prob everywhere for that matter.

Define blade I am lost? Oh that goes into the oil pump drive gear? Only seen one of those excessively worn so far.

Those Lean Burn distributors, save them for folks who convert to a digital ignition system.
They don't need mechanical or vacuum advance, and the rotor phasing is usually good.

I'm running a LeanBurn distributor in my '73 Dart with MegaSquirt ECU.

I get them but no one has asked me for one yet good to know.

-
Back