Bike / race helmet "crossover?"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I don't have it written down, but I have looked up the "whatever it is" that NHRA requires for a helmet

I was out at the bike shop and the helmets they are selling have more like what I'd call a "decal" as opposed to an label that SPECIFIES that it meets anything, SNELL or otherwise. The decal simply says "DOT"

So what do I look for, and can you buy a bike helmet === without getting extremely expensive === that will also meet NHRA / IHRA "in case" I ever want to show up with the Dart in Spokane?

Just as or more important, are these helmets this bike shop has worth the shelf space they are taking up? This almost appears to me to be a Chineseo generic sticker as opposed to anything "official."

(This of course hinges on whether I live that long, LOL)

People race bike helmets at the track all the time, since they allow bikes to bracket race as well.

I scoped these out, last week... Pretty cool stuff-

http://dirtyhero.com/2014/04/14/gear-review-biltwell-gringo/

Your best bet would be to call the track if you can't get the info from the track's website that you need. I would imagine that a bike helmet has to hold up to more abuse, but maybe all full faced helmets meet certain requirements?

I have ran a bike helmet every time I raced. No one has said anything. Just make sure it's not a dirt bike helmet and you should be good

From Spokane County Raceway website....

Helmets: As of January 1st 2012, per NHRA rules, All helmets used at an NHRA track must be Snell 2005 certified or newer. Snell 2000 rated helmets will no longer be accepted.

Don't remember the cut off but at some point a full face helmet is required I believe....but at that point a cage etc is needed as well.

DOT approved helmets are really nothing exepct the most basic standard ... not any compliance with Snell or anything. If from China, I would wonder what grade of paper-mache is used in their construction.....?? I see the same with so-called racing seats from the far-east that sell for 1/3 to 1/4 of a real racing seat.

Snell M standard are for motorcylces. They can meet pretty much the same standard as non-M for cars, BUT the lining and such are not fireproof, as in the non-M Snell helmets meant for auto racing. So I would advise stongly against buying a Snell helmet in a motorcycle shop as you may end up with an M Snell standard which may not be accepted for nattionaly sanctionned event. With fire being a big issue for drag cars, I would expect non-M Snell to be enforced. M standard Snell will say 'M" on the Snell label. I would also check the manufacturer's website to double-check.

This answers your question for NHRA events: looks like non-M Snell for you!
[ame]http://www.nhra.com/userfiles/file/2014_ETQuickReferenceCard.pdf[/ame]

Local tracks may not enforce this or any standard for their own sanctioned operations; that is their call. But just because someone says their track does not have any particular requirement has no meaning for another track and certainly won't be true for an event sanctioned by a national body. Buy a recent 2010 Snell non-M type and you will be good for a while.

Also, be aware that a particular year of Snell standard will be valid for just a certain number of years for nationally sanctioned use. I see 10 years being a common practice. This dropping of older year standards as time moves on is to flush older helmets, belts, seats, etc., 'out of use'. Fiberglass degrades over time, and the shock absorptive linings age, and the glue for the lining will start to release after 15-20 years. I would avoid a 2005 Snell helmet right now as the 2015 standard will be out in a year or so, and the 2005 Snell acceptance will be dropped in maybe 2016 or so.

And any Snell helmet will have the sticker inside the helmet , stuck to the shock absorptive lining. You may have to partly pull back the soft linings to see this. I am a tech inspector for rallies that have required Snell for 30+ years..... I cannot count how many 1000's of times I have checked Snell sitckers!

Edit to add: The primary Snell standard for auto racing is the Snell SA standard.

Thanks for the response. One problem "around here" then, if I want to buy a car/ race approved etc SNELLhelmet, the bike shops many not have 'em, and that gets to "where"? do ya go. I'm not real comfortable buying over the www as having one "in hand" and testing fit is certainly a problem

Bought mine at a bike shop and the Snell sticker is inside. Inspector checked for it also.

DOT approved helmets are really nothing exepct the most basic standard ... not any compliance with Snell or anything. If from China, I would wonder what grade of paper-mache is used in their construction.....?? I see the same with so-called racing seats from the far-east that sell for 1/3 to 1/4 of a real racing seat.

Snell M standard are for motorcylces. They can meet pretty much the same standard as non-M for cars, BUT the lining and such are not fireproof, as in the non-M Snell helmets meant for auto racing. So I would advise stongly against buying a Snell helmet in a motorcycle shop as you may end up with an M Snell standard which may not be accepted for nattionaly sanctionned event. With fire being a big issue for drag cars, I would expect non-M Snell to be enforced. M standard Snell will say 'M" on the Snell label. I would also check the manufacturer's website to double-check.

This answers your question for NHRA events: looks like non-M Snell for you!
http://www.nhra.com/userfiles/file/2014_ETQuickReferenceCard.pdf

Local tracks may not enforce this or any standard for their own sanctioned operations; that is their call. But just because someone says their track does not have any particular requirement has no meaning for another track and certainly won't be true for an event sanctioned by a national body. Buy a recent 2010 Snell non-M type and you will be good for a while.

Also, be aware that a particular year of Snell standard will be valid for just a certain number of years for nationally sanctioned use. I see 10 years being a common practice. This dropping of older year standards as time moves on is to flush older helmets, belts, seats, etc., 'out of use'. Fiberglass degrades over time, and the shock absorptive linings age, and the glue for the lining will start to release after 15-20 years. I would avoid a 2005 Snell helmet right now as the 2015 standard will be out in a year or so, and the 2005 Snell acceptance will be dropped in maybe 2016 or so.

And any Snell helmet will have the sticker inside the helmet , stuck to the shock absorptive lining. You may have to partly pull back the soft linings to see this. I am a tech inspector for rallies that have required Snell for 30+ years..... I cannot count how many 1000's of times I have checked Snell sitckers!

I have an Impact full face race helmet and I forget what the Snell date is right now but once it expires I can send it back to Impact to have it recertified for a lot less than the cost of a new helmet.

^^ Are you sure? I know they can be re-certified after being dropped or being in an accident if you send it to them to check it out. If the standard changes however, I can't see how an older helmet that does not comply with the new spec could be certifed to that new spec. Snell standards changed a LOT in the 90's, but they may have become more stable in the last couple of update cycles. Read the article link that I attached below....

Bought mine at a bike shop and the Snell sticker is inside. Inspector checked for it also.
Local track or a nationally sanctioned event? I also will say that I have not looked at the M vs non-M standards in a few years, or looked at the NHRA or IHRA rules in detail to see if they specifically prohibit M types. I do want people to be aware that there is a difference and the reason, and that you should look to the Snell SA standard. Maybe you got a Snell SA helmet....

Everyone buying a Snell helmet for auto racing shoudl read this article IMO:
http://www.circletrack.com/safety/ctrp_1106_helmet_safety_standards/

Thanks for the response. One problem "around here" then, if I want to buy a car/ race approved etc SNELLhelmet, the bike shops many not have 'em, and that gets to "where"? do ya go. I'm not real comfortable buying over the www as having one "in hand" and testing fit is certainly a problem
All sorts of racing guys have the same problem and the easy only answer is a few shops around the country that have the SA types in stock that you can see and trial fit. What happens is that most guys try them in a moto shop and then buy the SA version on-line. If you are feeling that you are cheating the moto shop, just tell them the issue and ask if they mind. And I would not be surprised that they can order the SA version for you if the SA equivalent exists; that is where you as a buyer need to do your homework.

You SHOULD IMO try helmets on. For example, I used to find that the Bell Helmet shaped helmets fitted my oblong skull (Let's be nice now!) better than others, but not all Bell's fit me equally well.

And, I don't intend to be mean but don't take the mot shops word that an M Snell type 'will be OK'. You need to know the requirements of whoever sanctions your events.

Local track or a nationally sanctioned event? I also will say that I have not looked at the M vs non-M standards in a few years, or looked at the NHRA or IHRA rules in detail to see if they specifically prohibit M types. I do want people to be aware that there is a difference and the reason, and that you should look to the Snell SA standard. Maybe you got a Snell SA helmet....

Everyone buying a Snell helmet for auto racing shoudl read this article IMO:
http://www.circletrack.com/safety/ctrp_1106_helmet_safety_standards/

Palm Beach Raceway FL TNT Tech Insp

Per the EMRA (Eastern Motor Racing Assoc.)

"As of January 2012, all helmets must be certified Snell 2005 or later. Snell M helmets are acceptable for time trials. Competition racers must use helmets with a Snell SA rating. Snell SA2000 & M2000 helmets will no longer be accepted. Please take a moment, to ensure your helmet is Snell SA2005 or greater. (Usually found on a tag or sticker inside the helmet)"

You can buy SA rated helmets on Amazon and they'll send it to you on this nifty drone courier :)

AlV

The helmet laws are a joke.

I used to go to a chiropractor many years ago. He specialized in football and sports injuries. He had applied for a patent for an improved helmet and could not sell it to any helmet manufacturers. His design would reduce the number of neck injuries by softening the "blow" and absorbing some of it. He couldn't get any of the helmet manufacturers interested in using it, as if they did, it would open them up to lawsuits implying that the "old design" wasn't safe enough... WTF???

So the courts with their BS liability rules, are preventing them to improve the designs. I thought that making something better was supposed to be a good thing....

He also patented and sold the design for the newer style cleats. The old spikes used to dig in and plant the feet too firmly, causing injury due to twisting and bending. He said that you need to let the feet come out from under the athletes as then it won't put so much stress on the knees/joints and reduce injury. His patent is now in production. The seven "bar" like cleats. Only 3 or 4 are planted at once and will allow the feet to come out from under athletes to prevent injuries.

They should give his design a try, it would help reduce neck injuries...

Not only is there confusion with with SA and M standards (and there are differences beside fire retardance) but some bike helmet manufacturers are getting away from Snell in favor of BSI (British Standards Institute) or other EU ratings.
I always thought Snell certified bike lids were acceptable up to the point of "Your car MUST have a cage", then had to be Snell SA.
You could always go to a top shelf bike shop that carries Arai helmets, they carry 3 specific head shapes ( different models based on different head shapes) to find your fit, then find out what car helmets they manufacture in "your" shape, and buy online. Be forewarned though, they ARE quite expensive.
Oh, and you won't be able to find a bike shop able to supply that car helmet, because they go through entirely different distribution channels, and more than likely have specific agreements on said distribution.

-
Back