Billet Specialties Thermostat Housing?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I’m throwing in the towel on my cheap thermostat housing. Im tired of chasing leaks. I see some recommendations on here for the billet specialties O-ring type housing and was curious if anyone had any negative things to say about it.

I bought one at Mancini racing, no problems or leaks.

No sealant just this gasket.

IMG_5745.jpeg

The gasket is for non O ring housing. The O ring takes the place of a gasket besides if you have to remove the billet O ring housing you won't have to scrape old gasket off

If you have a Robert Shaw 370 thermostat, I use the Flashpower #181491-200 o-ringed housing, you will not be disappointed. Just got one for the Hemi, $37.00. Blow the picture up to look at it.
I just corrected that Robert Shaw number, not a 330, should have been 370.

20230908_204705.jpg

Last edited:
I’m using this one and it weeps a little bit from the swivel part. If is the non swivel I’d use it..

12041C1A-4862-4866-8EA0-2C4865B04B8A.png

The Mancini o-ring billet one is all I use after fighting a couple of 318 leaks with original.

Last edited:
I have them on both of my 340's and they dont leak. The only thing I dont like is they only come polished aluminum but now I see they have an option for black anodized.

The o-ring housing is the only thing I could get to seal. Tried the silicone gasket deal and had no luck with those.

I have them on both of my 340's and they dont leak. The only thing I dont like is they only come polished aluminum but now I see they have an option for black anodized.

The o-ring housing is the only thing I could get to seal. Tried the silicone gasket deal and had no luck with those.
I scuffed up/sanded the Billet housing and shot it with some blue paint before installing just so it doesn’t stand out as much.

I too fought leaking thermostat housing, different gaskets etc. I also tried the silicon "Real" gaskets which sealed great until I stood on the loud pedal and blew them out, twice.

The ONLY solution that has worked for me is the billet specialties, o-ringed housings. I have used 2 of them, same engine different intakes, never a drop.

I put a Billet Specialties housing on my 451 No leaks or seeps since Money well spent!!!

I just looked up the price of the Billet Specialties o-ring thermostat housing, did you really pay $67.95 for it? I would bet that the Flashpower for $37. is made by the same people, but it's your money.

I must be extraordinarily lucky. I've never had a problem getting a factory thermostat housing to seal. Those billet ones do look pretty slick though.

I must be extraordinarily lucky. I've never had a problem getting a factory thermostat housing to seal. Those billet ones do look pretty slick though.
Me either. No way would I spend the coin on it either.

Me either. No way would I spend the coin on it either.
Very easy money to spend when you have exhausted other methods. I do not disbelieve those who have never had an issue, but the amount of people who have struggled with this can't be overlooked. I know all too well the frustration of something so simple being so hard to remedy. I tried various gaskets, various housings, re-machining housings, factory housings, machining intake surface, etc. The cost involved in that BS makes the Billet Specialties part very attractive.

This post not meant to be a dig at yours either, in fact I am genuinely happy you haven't had the headache or extra cost involved.

Very easy money to spend when you have exhausted other methods. I do not disbelieve those who have never had an issue, but the amount of people who have struggled with this can't be overlooked. I know all too well the frustration of something so simple being so hard to remedy. I tried various gaskets, various housings, re-machining housings, factory housings, machining intake surface, etc. The cost involved in that BS makes the Billet Specialties part very attractive.

This post not meant to be a dig at yours either, in fact I am genuinely happy you haven't had the headache or extra cost involved.
I'm all for people doing what they want. Knock it out. It won't be me. lol

Never say never! I do not ever remember in the old days, cause I am old! Ever having thermostat housing problems, I sure do now! I too tried everything I knew, your time is worth something, $37. is nothing to the piece of mind it gave me. They simply work.

-
Back