Bilstein rear shock information

-

1973dust

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This post is part rant and part public service announcement. I've been able to button up my suspension rebuild over the holidays and went today to swap the rear shocks. My wife agreed to let me splurge on a set of Bilstein RCD's 55-R082 front and 55-R093 rear to go with the PST 1.03 torsion bars. So I get the rear shocks out of their boxes and immediately notice that the rubber bushing ID's are not the same at each end of the shock. I definitely don't know it all, but every Mopar I've ever wrenched on has taken a roughly .7 ID bushing for the shock mounts, top and bottom. The smaller ID bushings were in the top of the shocks and I went ahead and tried to install but no go. I ended up swapping the larger bushing to the top of both shocks and was able to assemble the bottom by installing the bushing on the pin about halfway and then manhandling the bottom of the shock on to the bushing as far as I could. I then was able to press the shock and bushing home using a large socket on the OD of the shock loop along with a c-clamp. I'm certainly no ace mechanic but it shouldn't take several hours to install a pair of rear shocks. I don't remember if I purchased these from BAC or PST but I don't think it really matters as I know they are just distributors. It's obviously frustrating to spend $500ish dollars on a set of shocks that don't actually fit properly out of the box. Maybe some cars have a smaller pin at the top but I'm certain these were ordered for a 1973 Duster so I feel they should at least come with bushings that will fit, even if they need swapped out, which is easy.

PSA - If you purchase a set of these, I would advise checking the bushing sizes when you get the shocks so you can get the proper size bushings on the way if necessary. I really should of just waited until I had the proper parts but I was ticked enough to make it work. Thanks for listening and hope you've all had a good holiday.

I had this same problem with the Bilstein's. I ordered them from P-S-T, and they worked with me and sent me the correct bushings.
The top bushing was too small in diameter.
Good luck!

I had this same problem with the Bilstein's. I ordered them from P-S-T, and they worked with me and sent me the correct bushings.
The top bushing was too small in diameter.
Good luck!
Yeah, I'm sure whoever I purchased them from would have provided me the correct bushings if I had realized there was a problem ahead of time.

I bought the Bilstein RCD’s for my 65 Dart as well. Like you i found the upper shock bushing was not exactly the right size but was able to get both installed

5077022B-7B8F-4B35-8B73-3640B69681EE.jpeg

I got the small top bushings on mine and contaacted PST. They sent the corret bushings very quickly.

They must have changed the bushing over the years. I bought a set probably 8 yeats ago from PST and the shocks fit right on, front and rear. That's too bad they changed the bushing size, I wonder why?

I don't recall having any issues fitting the Bilsteins on my Dart, Duster or Challenger. It looks like they're using poly bushings now, which will need poly grease if you want to install them correctly.

My KYB's fit fine.

Lol. The bushings in the KYB's are probably the only thing worth putting on a car. As shocks they're probably the worst choice you can make, they're objectively terrible at everything.

I don't recall having any issues fitting the Bilsteins on my Dart, Duster or Challenger. It looks like they're using poly bushings now, which will need poly grease if you want to install them correctly.
I hadn't even considered that they might be poly. It was fairly easy to press the bushings in and out of the shock eyes and I just assumed they were rubber so I didn't apply lube of any type. Is there an easy way to tell if rubber or poly?

Poly is a lot stiffer, usually has a glossier finish. More “plastic-y” than rubber.

Yes, they changed them fairly recently. I got a set a few years ago and they came with correct top bushings. The last set I got came with top bushings that were too small which PST promptly corrected.

I got mine from firm feel. Put them on my 71 duster and a set last year on my 69 swinger with no problems. Love em by the way.
Bennoel

-
Back