Biltrite Torque Converters

-
Beyond a certain point, efficiency is the issue. A high end convertor is a custom peice from shell to stater to fins etc...it will go when you dip the throttle like stock, it will not drag rough idling engine down at idle in gear.
The lower priced, cut fin converters allow slippage, and can in a maxed out stall version create a ton of heat below the stall/full lock up. Average hot rod 2600-2800 is fine, some do fine with 2400 and work great.
It's like hedman vs tti...
Both are upgrades...but one is better and does not have negative by products like ground clearance, too small for max power.
But I'd take hedmans over stock 318 manifolds. I'd take a cut high stall over a stock stall any day.

Converter shows like... off idle slip, under stall speed is slippy.
Example
.. If it stalls to 2600 rpm ...you will see the off idle flash 'under normal operating pedal' will rev the tach 1400-1600 rpm.
3500 CONVERTOR , BRAZED AND NEEDLE BEARINGS , BEHIND THE 505 IT WILL FLASH STALL HIGHER THAN 3500 ---/CAM IS A .600 LIFT SOLID STREET ROLLER ROLLER , WORKS PRETTY WELL TOGETHER . i DOWNGRADED THE CAM TO THIS ONE FOR THE FUEL INJ . TO WORK BETTER -------co7uld stand to be a hair tghiter I think >??

Bob, The rings should be seated almost instantly on the break in cycle. Did some of the rings get put in upside down? U should have plenty of power to spare. Kim

Bob, The rings should be seated almost instantly on the break in cycle. Did some of the rings get put in upside down? U should have plenty of power to spare. Kim

I used a gapless second ring, all I`ve read since is how they create top ring flutter. A couple of guys on here, ''I cant remember who'', tried to talk me out of them back when I was building it .
They always worked for me on my sbc engines.
This whole 505 stroker thing has been a big experiment for me so far, almost feel like going to small block to make it more streetable, and putting the form S front end back under it.
I ALSO PUT SYN OIL IN IT TOO QUICK TOO/BRAIN FADE!

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread... I have a torque converter related question.

While I wait to get my hands on a large input shaft transmission to put my new PTC 9.5" converter in, I want to bolt up my transmission with the stock 273 converter. It will be about 3 weeks before I'll have the transmission and rebuild it.

Should I do it? I'm really ready to drive my car with the built 5.9. Or just wait and do it once?

3500 CONVERTOR , BRAZED AND NEEDLE BEARINGS , BEHIND THE 505 IT WILL FLASH STALL HIGHER THAN 3500 ---/CAM IS A .600 LIFT SOLID STREET ROLLER ROLLER , WORKS PRETTY WELL TOGETHER . i DOWNGRADED THE CAM TO THIS ONE FOR THE FUEL INJ . TO WORK BETTER -------co7uld stand to be a hair tghiter I think >??
Yep, making more torque

Not to hijack the thread... I have a torque converter related question.

While I wait to get my hands on a large input shaft transmission to put my new PTC 9.5" converter in, I want to bolt up my transmission with the stock 273 converter. It will be about 3 weeks before I'll have the transmission and rebuild it.

Should I do it? I'm really ready to drive my car with the built 5.9. Or just wait and do it once?
Do it once.
Besides, the year of 273 convertor could decide wether it would even fill the register,
or need a spacer... early is small, 360 is large. Snout of convertor that sits in the back center of the the crank,fyi just incase, is what I'm referring to.

Do it once.
Besides, the year of 273 convertor could decide wether it would even fill the register,
or need a spacer... early is small, 360 is large. Snout of convertor that sits in the back center of the the crank,fyi just incase, is what I'm referring to.

I'm good there. I bought a custom converter from PTC. They made the snout for the Magnum and found out after I got it all together they made the converter for a larger (68 and up) input shaft when I have a 66 transmission. No engagement!!

I got no help talking to Kenny at PTC so I'm making lemonade out of lemons. I'm getting a '74 trans in a couple of weeks, then I'll rebuild it so my entire drivetrain will be updated.

I'm just really ready to drive it after swapping in the 5.9, reground cam, Edelbrock 2.02 heads, and Doug's headers.

Was thinking about sticking the factory converter in just so I can get it out and see how the engine runs! But in only 3 weeks I would be pulling it again to put in the rebuilt trans.

I'm good there. I bought a custom converter from PTC. They made the snout for the Magnum and found out after I got it all together they made the converter for a larger (68 and up) input shaft when I have a 66 transmission. No engagement!!

I got no help talking to Kenny at PTC so I'm making lemonade out of lemons. I'm getting a '74 trans in a couple of weeks, then I'll rebuild it so my entire drivetrain will be updated.

I'm just really ready to drive it after swapping in the 5.9, reground cam, Edelbrock 2.02 heads, and Doug's headers.

Was thinking about sticking the factory converter in just so I can get it out and see how the engine runs! But in only 3 weeks I would be pulling it again to put in the rebuilt trans.
They can put the 19 spline/early Inerds in a later case. I think there might be another catch to the early style..

A buddy of mine had Biltrite rebuild a converter for him and it worked as expected and he ran it real hard for several yrs. It was a 418 ci tunnel ram with 2 660's on E-85. He wasn't much at tuning but it still ran 11'0. I think someone that knew how to tune it could have got 10.50's out of it

I just got off the phone with Chris from Biltrite converters told him what I was running along with what I intended to do with the car, gave him all the specs and he suggested a converter for me. I have gone ahead and ordered it from him. Very nice to talk to, not in a hurry to get off the phone, takes all your input into consideration and tells you what he thinks is right for you. When it shows up I will post some pictures and when the car is running I will let you know how I like it.
Bob

I just got off the phone with Chris from Biltrite converters told him what I was running along with what I intended to do with the car, gave him all the specs and he suggested a converter for me. I have gone ahead and ordered it from him. Very nice to talk to, not in a hurry to get off the phone, takes all your input into consideration and tells you what he thinks is right for you. When it shows up I will post some pictures and when the car is running I will let you know how I like it.
Bob

How did it go with the converter? I called and talked to Chris today and he quoted me a 2800 stall. I got the same service (morning a rush to get off the phone, took it all into consideration). Price was $475 shipped. I think I'm going to order it this week.

It looked good and from other reviews that I read everyone who has had a Biltrite converter has been happy with it, based on the reviews is why I thought I would try Chris.

It looked good and from other reviews that I read everyone who has had a Biltrite converter has been happy with it, based on the reviews is why I thought I would try Chris.

Yea, me too. He did tell me that isn't just a cut and restall. They rebuild them completely.

Chris told me the same thing and they have been in business for a while. When I fire mine up and finally go for a put I will make a thread about my experience either good or bad. Good luck with your's I hope everything turns out great.
Bob

I'm interested in following up on any experiences with the Biltrite converter. I am at the stage where I need to choose a converter for my A500 behind a 6.4 Gen III. Can 66 CUDA and/or plumrazee70 add their experience with their Biltrite converter? Did you purchase a lockup converter? Actual Stall? Engine? Rear gear ratio? Is you car a daily driver?
Thanks

My car is still under construction and not street legal yet so I have not been able to take it out and beat on it. So far the only driving I have done with it is just up and down the street, three houses here and there, and to load and un load on the trailer for the exhaust shop and for the front end alignment shop. The converter that I bought from Biltrite went into a 68 Barracuda with a some what stock 340, a little beefed up 727, 2500 stall non lock up, and it has an 8 3/4 rear end with a 323 sure grip.

Last edited:
-
Back