Black behind grill

-

JCab1

Reaction score
Need to see pictures of how much black did they spray on radiator support at factory. 74 dart sport blaze yellow just off rotessori . I know they are mot all the same but don't want to over do .ty

Not sure on a '74 but all color cars were done except dark blue and black.

Just need to do enough so you don't see yellow thru the grills........
Post pics of the front openings and the grills????

Mine was all the way up the support except the top bar ('74 KY4 Golden Fawn)

Factory didn't over do either. No masking. They just free hand colored in a area about the same 7 inches as headlights from one to the other.

Factory didn't over do either. No masking. They just free hand colored in a area about the same 7 inches as headlights from one to the other.

exactly Redfish.

we first did this and found that the blue showed through by the lights.

10686842_723835901032120_4454606800131078316_n_zpscbcfzwoa.jpg

Then we free sprayed the area around the light buckets like so.
dartgrille2_zps4d1097de.jpg

dartgrille1_zpse9380042.jpg

And now it looks like this.

attachment.php

all the darts i have seen have the top grill support completely black...side to side as well.
..most do it the way they like it them selves

If you wanna be resto ready, gotta spray it at forty five degrees angle from the bottom as the guy in the pit did

I believe they sprayed them from below as the cars were going overhead. They didn't use a paint gun but just a wand like a weed sprayer and some thick semi gloss or matte black. It could have been thinned undercoating.

i think there was another detailer beside the guy in the pit.There were battery tray and cowl
blackouts,rocker panels and top side spraying behind the grill area in other body styles too!

My '74 Duster, pretty much the entire radiator support was blacked out...

IMG_1911_zpsff86839b.jpg

I know a guy who did the job back in the day. It was an entry level job. As you can imagine, spraying paint upward from a wand like a weed sprayer was a pretty nasty job. So he said that if someone called in sick one of the first guys to leave their post to be a replacement was the core support painter. Depending on how fast the line was running or how hung over the guy was made the difference in what got sprayed. He said he was never checked on by a supervisor so some cars didn't get a very good spray job in his time before he got a job upgrade. If he went to fill in for someone else the other guy in the pit had to add the paint to his job. He said that is why some cars hardly got any black paint.

-
Back