Black out hood?

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
33.jpg
Should I black out my hood? I like the black in contrast with the red paint and the vinyl roof but I am not sure if I do the hood too will it be too much? Eventually I'll have a black go-wing too. The plan always was to black out the hood but now I'm not sure.

Cley

no, hood will look like its a replacement hood that you were too cheap to have painted.. some kind of hood stripe in black may work though.

I agree with Joe, I like the black hood with the black top but I left a little color on the edges.

Duster front.jpg

I always preferred the demon sizzler hood treatment
I know yours isn't a demon but still...I think that one would look best

I agree with Joe & doc. Paint a portion of it (as well as the cowl) as shown in 340doc's post!

I like satin black hoods, but on your car, NO. you have black grill, black scoop, black top, and beautiful inferno red. my PT Cruiser is inferno red

How about a variation of the Demon hood stripe layed out to match the shape of the hood center?
You could get someone to do a vinyl cut design then you would only have to Matte Black the scoop.

I agree with with Marcrohotrod, paint your grille Silver with a Matte Black background and it will look good.

I personally don't like just the hood blacked out. Either have some kind of stripe, or, black out the hood, tops of the fenders, and cowl. Just the hood by itself looks like you took the cheap route with a fiberglass hood.

Here are some pictures I saved, some of these cars belong to members here but I didn't save them by username so I can't help with that...

This is an earlier Duster obviously but it was one of the few I found that had a vinyl roof too
72dstrtwstr-1 copy.JPG

Here are a couple with the hood, tops of the fenders, and cowl done. Yours would continue this with the vinyl top
Duster copy.jpg

DSCN2803 copy.jpg

Or something like this, the 73+ Dusters have that raised section that makes a good place for a stripe, or the reverse, but the reverse went with the other scoop package.
dust copy.jpg

P1020099(1) copy.jpg

Just a quick photoshop job.
Duster-Black-Hood_zpsf21ht8nc.jpg

Hope this works

Do this photo-shop with the black on top of the fenders too and running back (including the top of the doors and below the quarter windows). Like that Petty blue one next to the barn. With your vinyl roof that will tie in nicely.

th?&id=OIP.M2b8c738015cd0422405fe45703695d66o0&w=300&h=173&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg
like the 340 or what cid on the hood /clean effective!!

The Demon black out Hood treatment does not fit the 73-5 Duster hood.

Well, it wouldn't necessarily line up with the raised section of the hood on the later Dusters, but there's no reason you couldn't put one on there. Since the Demon hood is actually longer than a Duster hood, you'd just have to trim the vinyl at the back edge of the hood. It would actually give you a little leeway with how you mounted it, you could move the vinyl forward a bit to make the blackout part at the front of the hood wider if you wanted, you could actually adjust it a little to match better with the Duster hood. It would only be a few inches forward or backward, but it would make a difference.

71340sizl-8 copy.JPG

This shot gives you a little bit of an idea how much longer the Demon/Dart hood is compared to the Duster hood. This is shot of the Demon hood mounted on my Duster as part of it's conversion, while it was still wearing the Duster fenders. The additional overhang shows how much longer the Demon/Dart hood is, it goes all the way out past the front of the bumper on a Duster.

IMG_1906_zps8zdadyxi.jpg

Last edited:
Do this photo-shop with the black on top of the fenders too and running back (including the top of the doors and below the quarter windows). Like that Petty blue one next to the barn. With your vinyl roof that will tie in nicely.

Here you go.
33.jpg

and here's one with just the raised section. That one would look better with a pinstripe and a smooth edge, but it's just a quick photoshop.
33 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the photoshop pics. That really helps! This one is the only one I may consider after seeing them. Methinks I'm gonna leave it other than flatting out the scoop

Cley
33 (1).jpg

Hey 75bluNblu! You have got skills! Merry-Merry!

:thankyou:

But if I really had skills I could make it look like a matte black. I think that would make the version with just the raised section of the hood blacked out look a lot better. Actually I think it would make all of them look better because if the texture was closer to the vinyl top it would look a lot different than with a gloss finish.

-
Back