Blacklace, this is ALL your fault. 1975 Dodge Colt....new project

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
The idea of a Colt or Arrow with small block has been a long dormant thought, until you had to go and bring it up to the front. :D Just after your post started, this Gem of a car showed up on Craigslist.

I obtained keys and title last night. Making pickup arrangements this afternoon.

This is going to sprout a small block, keep the hubcaps, and become a sleeper. I am even designing in my head a dual mode exhaust system, comprised of a Y pipe off the manifolds (or headers) to a 3 inch pipe, that will run all the way back, and dump under the bumper. There will also be a 2" system with a restrictive, stock type muffler and resonators, that runs along side, and exits out the back with a little bitty tip (chrome?) so that when I need to be stealthly, I can have the exhaust flow running through the little system, to not attract any attention, and then when it is GO time, flip it to the 3" system for power.

These are the pictures from the previous owner, but they were never in the Craigslist ad for some reason? Sorry about the size, I will crop them down later.

Coltpassengerside.jpg

Coltdriverside.jpg

Sounds like a fun project and its a nice looking find to start off!! Good luck!!

Gosh I wish I could find one of those down here.............

I would LOVE to do an electric conversion in one.......(please don't stone me)...........Although, with a small block it's gonna be an unbelievable amount of fun..................8)8)8)

I thought about doing that to a Colt for a very long time. Keep us informed on how you're doing, with pictures too.

I am so excited about this. To my understanding, the automatics, are 904 Torqueflites.

I am leaning towards building a 318. Nothing crazy, but pump gas workable, with "302" heads, for a small but very efficient small block. Mopar Magazines have had 318 in the 350-370 HP range with good heads, and that HP in this car, would be PLENTY.
I imagine I would have to do something for the rear end, and I bet an 8 3/4 a body would still be too wide, so I might have to look to the FORD sector, maybe an 8.8 out of a Mustang, something like that.

I am supposed to be picking it up this afternoon or tomorrow. I am stoked. I will be bringin the good camera for lots more pictures.

Thats a good find. On one the Turbo Mopar forums a guy has a 2.4l turbo motor in one that runs 10's. Probably not much interest on here in the 4 cylinder brethren, but still a neat car. Good luck with your build.

I dig it!! I think its a very cool project, good luck with it and have fun!

A neat idea , but you have your work cut out for you. I am thinking that in a car this light, you could probably even make a 3.9 V6 fly! The short wheelbase will make handling interesting, and I'll bet exhaust routing out of the engine compartment will be interesting.
I love the sleeper idea, don't even fix the dents!
Keep us informed!
alan627b

Well, it is moved from the previous owners, to a friends house for a bit, while I clear out the room at home.

The previous owner parked it in a field at her parents house, drained gas and oil and that was it.

We added oil, gas, hit it with a little starting fluid, and it FIRED. It smoked like crazy, but it fired right up. I did have the displeasure of finding the "fix" on the gas tank of the previous owner, it leaks, but not too big a deal. I can either re-fix it, or since I will likely not run a spare tire, put a fuel cell in the trunk, maybe even split the stock tank in half and leave the lower half, so anyone looking sees a stock metal bottom....?
The flywheel grinds a bit, anyone have a flywheel for a 1975 Dodge Colt 1.6 Auto?
:)
I forgot camera, but I will be out in a week or so to check the brakes and make a bonzai run home with the car. It is currently 30 minutes away at highway speeds, 60 via backroads.

I had a 72 or 73 Colt GT 4 speed, and it was a screamer, I don't know why but it would flat out gooo.
Keep us updated and enjoy.

Did they do a cosworth dodge??

I had a 72 or 73 Colt GT 4 speed, and it was a screamer, I don't know why but it would flat out gooo.
Keep us updated and enjoy.

Did they do a cosworth dodge??

As a matter of fact, they did. In the '90s there was a creature called a Spirit R/T that had a double overhead cam Turbo 2.2. The cylinder head was designed by Cosworth.

A neat idea , but you have your work cut out for you. I am thinking that in a car this light, you could probably even make a 3.9 V6 fly! The short wheelbase will make handling interesting, and I'll bet exhaust routing out of the engine compartment will be interesting.
I love the sleeper idea, don't even fix the dents!
Keep us informed!
alan627b

Years ago I put a 3.9 in a Datsun B210 and went hunting for Mustangs and Camaros. Had more fun than the law allows until the rear end grenaded. This Colt should be a real blast, keep us posted on progress.

Congrats on the new project. I think it was last year Hotrod magazine had a spread on Colt racers of yesteryear, it was pretty cool. With the light weight it wouldn't take a whole lot from a small block to make a nice little screamer! Please take lots of pics. Are they very plentifull in the boneyards?

I know where a 4 door one is in the Philly area if anybody is interested. I bought a 70 Dart parts car from the guy and it was sitting right next to one in his yard. He said he was interested in getting rid of it. It looks just like the 2 door, so it's still tiny. let me know if anybody is interested, i'll give directions to the guys house.

i stumbled across your car's twin yesterday in a junkyard in VA. this is going to be a tough project for me,but for $150 i couldn't pass it up! now it sitting behind my shop...waiting! we should keep in touch..maybe we can help each other through the upcomming ordeal! mine getting a stock 360/727 with a narrowed 8 3/4. considered a 4 link (which it really needs) but just gonna try to make do with leaf springs and generous cutting to allow an 8 in. wheel. i guess weld draglites will be the choice since they're available in both the 4x4-1/2 front and 5x4 1/2 rear lug patterns. i guess a motor plate will be my mounting choice. also using a schirocco radiator with twin fans.

026.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

019.JPG

Yall need to find me one,,,,CHEAP!I been looking a colt for over 20 years to put a 318 in,just cant find a colt,or a cricket anywere.

-
Back