Blacksmithing

-

doktor_x

ronin phantom
Reaction score
Is anyone else here into blacksmithery (maybe a legitimate word) as a hobby? During a recent trip to my former homeland, I picked up some basic stuff for a little bit of nothing. The anvil is banged-up, but should be more than adequate until I figure out what the [bleep] I'm doing. The hand-crank blower forge doesn't need much to be fully operational.
DSC04849.JPG
Pardon my living room. It's a working space and always looks like a bomb wrapped in junk mail and car parts went off. The next place will have a garage. :angel7:

DSC04849.JPG

I noticed the Lee press and powder measure. :)

Anyway, my nephew in Georgia went to college to be a smith. I guess he made some nice stuff from what my brother told me. I bet I might be able to get some his books for a reasonable price as he never really put it to use. Cool stuff you picked up BTW. Like Ax said, that is one BAD *** VISE!!

hi i have been playing with Blacking for about 20 years off and on some of the thing i have made are being used in Washington state Park just outside Trenton NJ i haven't done at lot over the years but have had some very good teacher i have also picked up a few nice tool over the years i have also learned a few things from classes i have taken from the head Blacksmith at Willamsburg Va. its been fun

hi i have been playing with Blacking for about 20 years off and on some of the thing i have made are being used in Washington state Park just outside Trenton NJ i haven't done at lot over the years but have had some very good teacher i have also picked up a few nice tool over the years i have also learned a few things from classes i have taken from the head Blacksmith at Willamsburg Va. its been fun

I always wanted to get into that hobby but it just never panned out.
I used to hang out with the Amish guys in Pennsylvania at the farm auctions and festivals.
It was cool to watch them work.

I noticed the Lee press and powder measure. :)

Anyway, my nephew in Georgia went to college to be a smith. I guess he made some nice stuff from what my brother told me. I bet I might be able to get some his books for a reasonable price as he never really put it to use. Cool stuff you picked up BTW. Like Ax said, that is one BAD *** VISE!!
Yeah. I still have to stock up on reloading consumables. I've got a couple books covering the basics on the way, but it's impossible to have too many books. :) BTW, I'm still working on cycling that sci-fi book into the rotation of ~15 books I've started.

I've got the same vise mounted to a tree stump, its nice not having a bench in the way.
I've got to figure out a workspace. I'm most likely moving soon, so the snow may be flying by the time I produce a piece on my own tooling.

Good grief! Now that is a vice brother! LOL
My bench vise will be grateful. It hasn't been quite up to the last few fabrications. This one should be more tolerant of the vicious beatings. :snakeman:

I've had a passing interest for at least a decade. An old friend ran across a bunch of stuff recently and we worked out a trade. I think it's something I'm supposed to do for the time being.

I used to hang out with the Amish guys in Pennsylvania at the farm auctions and festivals.
Watching the Amish guys do anything is an experience. I admire their culture in many ways. I do miss watching the occasional barn-raising.

Keep at it doktor it could come in handy some day!
I'm in a mode of gathering skills that will remain viable should civilization begin resembling the movie The Postman. ;-) Mostly, I view life as a gathering of experiences and want to get a bunch in while I'm still somewhat young and capable rather than reflect on things I should have done. I've seen the product of regret too many times to go there willingly.

Fire it up dok, no bullshit.

I saw the real deal about how a real Katana was made with the two different metals, how it was folded and covered in ceramic, plus how the curve was made.

Anyone who underestimated the masters was a fool....Hence, etc.. etc...

Ulysses Everett McGill: Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

I am a daughter of a blacksmith. My dad had an enclosed truck where he carried his shop in. He had a forge built into his truck. He use to make his horseshoes from scratch. I watched him plenty of times take that hot metal and bend it around the anvil to create a horseshoe. My dad also visited schools and made shoes for the children to watch. He had everything in his truck. He tried to teach me the trade but I just wasn't strong enough for it. When my son was born he thought he could pass the trait to him but we moved away. It is a dying trade. I don't think he shoes horses anymore but he does make leather and other items now to make a living. It is also not the safest career choice. I have seen my dad get his leg ripped open by nails. He has been bit, kicked in the head, thrown, and stepped on. But he loved his job and worked 6 days a week from morning until night. I found his career choice interesting and non of my friends had anyone that could do what my dad did. :-D

I am a daughter of a blacksmith. My dad had an enclosed truck where he carried his shop in. He had a forge built into his truck. He use to make his horseshoes from scratch. I watched him plenty of times take that hot metal and bend it around the anvil to create a horseshoe. My dad also visited schools and made shoes for the children to watch. He had everything in his truck. He tried to teach me the trade but I just wasn't strong enough for it. When my son was born he thought he could pass the trait to him but we moved away. It is a dying trade. I don't think he shoes horses anymore but he does make leather and other items now to make a living. It is also not the safest career choice. I have seen my dad get his leg ripped open by nails. He has been bit, kicked in the head, thrown, and stepped on. But he loved his job and worked 6 days a week from morning until night. I found his career choice interesting and non of my friends had anyone that could do what my dad did. :-D
Very cool :) An old friend back east took it up about 2 years ago. He's had a few close calls around the femoral artery and taken a nasty kick or two. A draft horse made a nice scar on one finger by taking back its hoof before he had a chance to clip the end of the nail. It's the same deal though - he loves what he's doing for a living. I'll probably stay more with blades, ornamental iron and tools as well as some leather work here and there. Then again, I have a history of going in weird directions. 8)

I watched a Blacksmith at the car show/festival this weekend and this thread came to mind. He had the same thing as pictured above. It was pretty cool to watch.

I saw a episode last night how Japanese made Samurai swords. They fold the metal multiple times. They fold it beat it down then fold it again.. lots of work. Then it takes months to polish and sharpen the sword.

My dad was a blacksmith by hobby. He hand forged gun parts for muzzle loaders. He even made his own springs locks and set-triggers.

Yeah you got to be careful around them horses but the art of the profession is amazing. I have been bit, thrown, stomped on, broke bones, dislocated body parts, and etc.... Have fun with your new toy!!!8)

Very cool :) An old friend back east took it up about 2 years ago. He's had a few close calls around the femoral artery and taken a nasty kick or two. A draft horse made a nice scar on one finger by taking back its hoof before he had a chance to clip the end of the nail. It's the same deal though - he loves what he's doing for a living. I'll probably stay more with blades, ornamental iron and tools as well as some leather work here and there. Then again, I have a history of going in weird directions. 8)

not trying to say anything bad here but some one that shoe horses is a blacksmith there is a name for them but for the life of me i can't remember what it is again don't take this wrong tshoing a horse is a very very hard thing to learn because just like people horses have (lol) feet peoblems just like we do i guy i use to know did race horses and believe me when i say they make BIG money if they know there trade I am a blacksmith and i can tell you this i can't shoe a horse but i can make a lot of other things

not trying to say anything bad here but some one that shoe horses is a blacksmith there is a name for them but for the life of me i can't remember what it is again don't take this wrong tshoing a horse is a very very hard thing to learn because just like people horses have (lol) feet peoblems just like we do i guy i use to know did race horses and believe me when i say they make BIG money if they know there trade I am a blacksmith and i can tell you this i can't shoe a horse but i can make a lot of other things

Farriers

-
Back