Blast media

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I’m doing a “frame off” (on a uni-body ) restoration on my 65 Barracuda. I have a 110 lb blaster from Harbor Freight, that works quite well. I’ve started my blasting with glass bead. The glass bead works well, but I’m concerned that getting all of the media out of the body is going to be a problem. I’ve got the body on a rotisserie. I’ve never used soda as a blast media, but I’ve read that is will wash right away with no residual media in the body. Has anyone here had any experience with soda blasting and will it work in my blaster?

F028F5E9-347D-4D3C-955E-95037F88049F.jpeg

Soda works well on everything but rust. It won't touch that. I've been able to adapt any of my media blasters to shoot soda with no problem. You do use a lot of media, and it does make quite a mess, but like you pointed out it can be easily washed away with water. I did my firewall recently and used well over one 50 lb. bag just for that.

I know it involves a third party, but have you looked into 'dustless blasting', or 'dry ice blasting' and whether there is someone nearby that offers that? This involves some costly equipment, but would do what you're looking for without the accumulation of glass beads everywhere.

Last edited:
I just used black beauty on my valiant. a blow gun, good shop vac and a lot of spins of the rotisserie and I had a lot of it out. I really doubt anyone ever gets all the media out.

Remember when the factory built these cars that bare metal went into a primer dipping vat and that got into ALL the cracks an crevices.
I think back a few decades ago when I took hoods to K.C.. Mo for chemical dipping. Yes they came out 100% clean, but that hood with the frame and top skin, unless dipped, no way to blow epoxy primer into all those inner spots.
Having a rotisserie helps a bunch, but I have never got all the sand out of a car I had sandblasted.

-
Back