Block cleaning.

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
This block I'm working on was one of the ugliest, filthiest things I ever saw. Un-opened factory that was sitting in a damp cellar for 26 years. ....horrible!

of course my machinist tanked it and ran it through his Mart(spelling?) machine, so it cleaned up ok. Something I have been doing now for the 3rd motor may seem like a waste, but I'll fill ya in anyhow. it only cost around 30 bucks to do.

Stop at parts store and buy the cheapest block kit you can that has all the softplugs and such. AND grab a gallon of Evaporust or something similar.

Seal up the old block temporarily with the plugs and fill er up with the de rust stuff. Let soak overnite. Pull all the plugs, drain and rinse.

I've been doing this and honest to God my motors run so damn cool it's wierd. and my antifreeze looks brand new.

Might be an anal waste of time, but it sure makes things look nice!
block1.jpg
b3.jpg
b2.jpg

Not ususally. The airless shot cabinet does do a decent job but I think Mike's approach would get more into the nooks and crannies. Cool idea there.

I had mine baked two weeks ago. Started with this. Ended up like this. I was happy.

IMG_03671.jpg

20161201_133743.jpg

Boy that last one looks nice. How about inside, though. This last block was the most dramatic change, I guess that's why I thought to mention the process. Inside was really rusty. Worst one I've had.

Should be assembling soon, though. Have to wait for an above freezing day and get to the quarter car wash. Or should I say the many quarter car wash. Need to get some hot soapy water through the oil galleries. Or is it galley's.

When a block was used for years without antifreeze and stored in a damp cellar the rust particles will stand inches high in the water jackets. Maybe hot tanking doesn't clean it out all so Ironmike's routine surely helps.

Excellent idea.

I guess I'm too cheap to buy the evaporust and plugs. But in the long run it will pay for itself.

I've picked out the rust with coat hangers and picks. And I've never had problems with over heating. Even when buzzing 3600-4000 rpm non stop from L.A. to Iowa in the summer....Tiny 23.9" diameter tires with 3.23's will do that.

6692946-Stroker4_24_10BuildSm10.JPG

6692946-Stroker4_24_10BuildSm06.JPG

Last edited:
I hope that thing is a Hemi or the numbers matching block to go through all of that.

I hope that thing is a Hemi or the numbers matching block to go through all of that.

It's not about making it look good. It's about having it run good and be reliable. Would do the same for a /6. It's paying it forward.

When people buy special radiators, electric fans, Evans coolant, etc... I wonder what the insides of their block looks like.

Yes it takes some extra time to do this. But that's why most rebuilders can't add that cost to a rebuild. You gotta be hands on.

There is no doubt you or I would go to the next level over most machine shops. Took me a long time to find a good one.

How much Evaporust did it take to fill it up?

When I have mine done I'm just gonna pop the freeze plugs out and have the bare block hot tanked. That should work well.

When I have mine done I'm just gonna pop the freeze plugs out and have the bare block hot tanked. That should work well.

That should do it...I have seen some a lot of nasty **** go into a hot tank and come out nice as long as the owner of said hot tank keeps up with his chemistry.....

A lot of time the heavy chunks can't get out. Need to inspect the water passages with a light and run a wire to check. Don't assume anything.

As a owner, you need to control your own destiny. Some details are just to time consuming for a shop to charge you and too hard for a customer to accept.

Boy that last one looks nice. How about inside, though. This last block was the most dramatic change, I guess that's why I thought to mention the process. Inside was really rusty. Worst one I've had.

Should be assembling soon, though. Have to wait for an above freezing day and get to the quarter car wash. Or should I say the many quarter car wash. Need to get some hot soapy water through the oil galleries. Or is it galley's.
Dish soap and galley brushes is all you need. I save the car wash for cleaning the automatic trans case, jk...I think its pretty irresponsible to be washing oil down the sewer like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dish soap and galley brushes is all you need. I save the car wash for cleaning the automatic trans case, jk...I think its pretty irresponsible to be washing oil down the sewer like that.
A car wash has an oil and water separator....

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back