block painting

-

Bulldog

Reaction score
so I've never painted a engine block before so I have a few questions,
>I sanded the block down and most of the paint came off but not all, should I prime the whole block anyway just to be on the safe side?
>I think the fuel pump on my 318 is aluminum, paint doesnt stick to aluminum does it? if not is there a chemical that will clean it up or not, I have most of the grime off but not all, And also the metal thing behind the water pump is also aluminum anway to clean that up aswell.
(off topic question)> I have the heads off the enigne can I clean the whole assembly in my parts cleaner what i mean is the valve, spring and retainers all together? or should I disassemble the whole first?

If there is any rust on the block I recomend that you use one of the POR engine paint kits (www.por15.com). You put a coat of the POR15 rust coating down then cover that with their engine enamel. Works great and lasts. There is no special steps for painting aluminum, just makes sure it's clean and grease/oil free.

EPOXY PRIMER - 2 coats
acrylic eurathane single stage color - 2 coats Good to go!

take off as much paint as you can - spray car stripper is great for this.

I did 3 motors like this and if you have a leak you can spray it with brake kelln and it will dry as good as new... no spray cans can do that...

epoxy primer -

normal_DSCN4613.JPG

acrylic eurathane single stage -

normal_DSCN4616.JPG

normal_DSCN4237.JPG

NOTE - aluminum water pump, fuel pump, timing cover... all will hold up just fine under epoxy primer...

something from the kitchen that really works good on gunk,grease and will even remove the paint from your block is easy off oven cleaner best of all it's biodegradable .just be careful not to spray it where it can get on another paint surface such as your car it will ruin the paint

-
Back