Blow by question

-

bill paynter

67 Cuda
Reaction score
I'll try and keep this short
first I've been having problems with oil leaking from the front and back of the intake so, I'm going to replace the gaskets this weekend and use only silicone for the front and back seal instead of the cork any thought???

second
I've noticed after running the car for awhile, oil builds up between the intake and head and it bubbles at ideal, if I remove the breather it stops Imediatly
could the pressure be so great that it's forcing oil out the front and back of the intake or is it dripping off the intake ???

any thoughts

Don't just put down a bead of rtv and expect it to seal. Clean the surfaces real well and put down your cork gaskets and use a thin bead between the cork and surfaces. Also put a thick bead on the sides of the cork gasket and smear alittle around the water jacket ports. Let the silicone dry for a day or so before you crank it. As for the oil bubbles you may not have square surfaces on your intake so make sure you torque it down and then a quarter turn.

Make sure your PCV valve is working and connected to the intake manifold. If everything is correct the valve will put a suck on the crankcase and it wont pressure up.

Another thing worth mentioning is the pcv valve should be located on the opposite side of the engine the breather is on so it creates a vacuum accross the engine. As far as the use of RTV on gaskets goes. Some gaskets such as Fel-pro perma-torque or print-O-seals SHOULD NOT have RTV used on them anywhere except the corners. These of gaskets have a coating on them already that RTV will not bond to correctly and the use of RTV could actuall cause a leak. I tried eliminating the cork end seals once as an experiment on a small block chevy to see if it would work and belive it or not it never leaked a drop. I ran it for over a year until I changed intakes and when I pulled it off it looked the same as when I installed it. I thought about doing it on my 360 for my Cuda but it looked like it would throw off the port alignment so I used the end gaskets in it.

Gm actually makes a silicone just for this purpose, it is a black color and can be found at any auto suppy.....the chevy guys have been using this stuff for years

If You Use Just Silicone Sealer, For The End Seals, I Always Take A Center Punch & Lay Down A Pattern On The Intake Rails & Int Manifold. This Helps The Sealer Grip.

-
Back