blow by?

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
my 318 has oil leaking around the oil fill cap. i replaced it with one that was vented because it was all the parts store had and it stopped the leak until the foam in it got soaked and now its dripping. there are no other leaks on this engine it runs flawlessly. i have removed the dip stick and the oil fill cap with the engine running and do not feel any kind of air coming out. the area where the oil cap goes on the valve cover doesnt look very flat but its kinda wrinkled like its been hit with a hammer. also did a tune up and all the plugs looked great. is this a blow by issue or maybe something else? the oil makes its way to the manifold and smells aweful

Sounds like your missing you baffle in the valve cover.

Yes, the oil gets thrown up by the rocker arms.

These old motors are known to leak a bit if driven alot, higher gears, like 4.10 gears will make the problems worst if its driven alot on the freeways.

The oil might be leaking on the headers or exhaust manifolds, more likely its burning off them than the intake

Sounds like your missing you baffle in the valve cover.

Yep..... what type of valve covers do you have?

Mopar Performace only comes with one set of baffles which depends on if you're running a PVC and one or two breathers. I needed 3 baffles for my set up so I borrowed one from a old set of MP valve covers.

grab one of the oil fill extensions that the later 318 / 360 motors had .
it fits in the stock location of the oil filler cap ; it extends the filer above the surface of the valve cover . I believe that they're welded tot he valve cover , but I'm just guessing there ...
I had one on my '72 Dart's 318 many years ago . I just pulled the entire valve cover from a 1980 St Regis police car that was in the pick-a-part ; can't remember how the extension was affixed ...
No more leaks / sweating !

Also , get some of those valve cover hold downs that the later 318 / 360 had . They're flat and act like a load-spreader .
These cut down on the leaks from around the valve covers .

thanks i took to my friends this moring and he just tacked in a flat peice of steel he made to fit in there and it worked like a charm. the best part was it was free. thanks for all the replies glad the engine wasnt having eccesive blowby.

-
Back