Blower motor & heater box questions

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Hello folks,
Need a little assistance please. Working on a '72 Duster, with heat & a/c. First, when I opened up the heater box to replace the core, the hook piece in the first picture was laying inside the round vent box. What is it, and where does it go?
Second, I want to replace the blower motor. FSM says to remove the three small screws and the motor and fan will come out? I've removed the 3 small screws, and also the 3 screws holding the motor. Nothing wants to budge. What am I missing here?
Thanks,
C

Attachments

• DCP_3389.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 277
  • DCP_3390.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 250
You removed the three large screws. The three small screws are around the outer perimeter of the round piece to which the motor is held by the three large screws.

The mystery piece looks to me like a chunk of gasket/seal. You did get a heater/AC box reassembly gasket kit from DMT, right...?

Dan,
The mystery piece is a flat strap piece of metal in that shape.
After removing the 3 nuts holding the blower motor on, I removed the 3 small sheet metal screws. It doesn't want to separate...

A DMT heater box gasket kit. Hmmm, thanks for asking. I ordered everything they had for my Duster from them, but I had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me!
C

The right hand vent box has a round opening at the cowl. There is a gasket that goes between. It is drawn up to seal with a hook like piece that catches the cowl. The nut on the other end will be at the bottom of the vent box. Limited thread length prevents over tightening. The one in non a/c looks like a battery hold down part. I'm pretty sure it's the same for a/c plenums. What you have shown looks like a homemade substitute.

Redfish, the J bolt to hold the vent box to the cowl is still there. This strap piece was an "extra" part laying in the box.
Thanks for looking...
C

After you take the 3 screws out, you have to pry the ring off. A small curved prybar is what I used, less likely to slip and cause damage.
As far as the metal piece, I don't remember anything like that in mine when I rebuilt it.

Thanks folks. I have the blower motor replaced now. The strap? Don't know yet.
C

-
Back