blown head gasket 408 stroker

-

mopar_persson

Body Bag
Reaction score
hello i have some problem with my dodge 408 engine, its started to smoke white,and the disappearance of cooler water, it still runs grate,

I took off intake manifold today and saw this, white oil in two of the inner inlet valves. the other valves looks good no white oil in them,
how can it drip oil and water in just them two valves? it is the right head only. the heads are renovated with new valves, seats, guides, and valve seals

I have now removed the cylinder head and the headgasket looks great
I can not see any cracks in the head or the block.
(My English is not so good I'm from Sweden)

My advice.If you can,have your machine shop pressure test that head,if possible.If all the gaskets were sealing,logically would be in the head casting.

Did you have a good seal around the water ports on the intake? The front two ports.

Maybe it's just me but those intake gaskets look awfully wet.

BTW, English just fine, LOL.

Did you have a good seal around the water ports on the intake? The front two ports.

That's what I was thinking .

did you happen to have the machine shop install hardened valve seats? I had a head ruined by a machine shop that did this, as they cut into the water jacket on number one cylinder, and then just used RTV and pressed the seats in anyway, and said nothing. Well 10 min. after I fired it up, one cylinder was sucking in antifreeze from around the seat. (Steam out the left header) Man was I P.O.ed . I made the machine shop replace the heads with another set of X heads. I will never use this shop again!

ok, but now that you mention it, the gasket look actually very wet I'll will check it out, you may well be right :)

fanofpetty= It is not hardened valve seats in the heads,

make sure to use rtv on both sides of the gasket when sealing the intake mankfold, also make sure the manifold is straight and not tapered.
If u could seal off the water cross overs and then pressure test the the cooling system with intake off and see if water is coming fron the int oorts, that would be great...but its mote likely the gasket leaked from lack of sealant and or manifold taper.
jmo

make sure to use rtv on both sides of the gasket when sealing the intake mankfold, also make sure the manifold is straight and not tapered.
If u could seal off the water cross overs and then pressure test the the cooling system with intake off and see if water is coming fron the int oorts, that would be great...but its mote likely the gasket leaked from lack of sealant and or manifold taper.
jmo

ok I just use rtv sealant on one side of the intake gasket:-k, That's probably the problem i hope :cheers:

thank you :)

jmo
I think that is a GREAT idea , save a lot of labour , and if no leak it narrows down where to look .

ONLY on the water ports though, and just an easy layer. Seems like every time I get into an engine somebody has gummed everything up with way too much RTV everywhere!

ok I just use rtv sealant on one side of the intake gasket:-k, That's probably the problem i hope :cheers:

thank you :)

-
Back