BME Aluminum rods

-

Minella

Reaction score
Hello Guys!
A freind of mine is selling a kit of BME aluminum rods, but the piston pin is chevy model. Can I open to dodge pin? The engine is a 318/390. I dont want to try to find pistons with chevy pin due to hard to find. If 318 stroked pistons are hard to find, imagine with chevy pin.

Best regards,

Minella

I would leave the chevy pin, and order a set of custom pistons. You're saving a bunch getting used rods anyway, and the 390 pistons are already a little pricey. Just have customs made and keep the bobweight light. This is a race only engine I'm assuming.

I wouldn't touch a set of used aluminum rods with a ten foot pole. Well, maybe to put on a shelf and look at, but I wouldn't put them in a motor I cared about.

Actually the rods set is brand new, never used. The purpose of this engine is racing only.
About the pistons I can have a set of KB846 at summit for $400, but custon pistons can cost more than 50%?! Am I right?
Another question, Would BME make 2 diferent forged Dies for those rods? One for .927 pin and another for .984?

Best regards,

Minella

I agree with Moper. Why take a good alum. rod and hang a cheap piston on it? Call Diamond and see what they can do,you may be surprised.

I wouldn't touch a set of used aluminum rods with a ten foot pole. Well, maybe to put on a shelf and look at, but I wouldn't put them in a motor I cared about.

Why do you say that? Do you have much experience with them? I've ran BME rods in all my Race BB for years and have NEVER had a rod Failure. I've had the pin fail and pull out in a high dollar set of Venolia pistons. I probably have 4 set of them at any one time. 3 right now, different lengths. I think most people have a misconstrued opinion of them.

" Another question, Would BME make 2 diferent forged Dies for those rods? One for .927 pin and another for .984? "

No the pin size would just be machined larger. I would look at a set of pistons from cp or diamond. Next question I have is what is the bore size? and is there enough room in the crank case to swing the rod around with out hitting on the pan rail of the bottom of the cyl? Alum rods are usually larger then stock rods on the crank side of the rod?

The bore size is 3.94'. And Black, you touch in a good issue. Probably the botton end of the cilinder i'll have to grind a bit, but the major issue is that I'd like to use hughes main girdle, I'm not sure if i'll have enough room.

-
Back