Body and trim package classifacation

-

Outkast

Reaction score
I have recently heard that for instance my 1970 2door 225 /6 dart that says (dart custom) on the glove box is classified as a swinger since it's a 2door, and all 2door darts are swingers and the custom label just represents the trim package. So is it a Dart Custom or a Dart Swinger? When I bought the car it was and is still primer grey with no emblems that came with it, I have been searching for what emblems should be on here and I have a full set of swinger emblems but I want the emblems to be correct and the ones I have are off my old 71 swinger 318.

I thought swingers were 2 doors and customs were 4 doors ?
Then you had the swinger 340 and the GT.

I thought swingers were 2 doors and customs were 4 doors ?
Then you had the swinger 340 and the GT.

I don't know about that my 69 Dart Custom is a 2 door hardtop. 2nd number of the VIN will tell you.

Code: Description:

H High [Dart Custom (1969-74)]
L Low [Dart (1968-74), Dart Swinger (1968-70)]
M Medium [Dart Swinger 340 (1969-70)]

~Michael

Well my 2nd # is H wich according to Dartmans vin# discription meens it must be a custom,
(and this is from OldmanRicks list) Dart Custom 2-door hardtop 17,208

Well my 2nd # is H wich according to Dartmans vin# discription meens it must be a custom,
(and this is from OldmanRicks list) Dart Custom 2-door hardtop 17,208

If the second digit is an H then it should be a custom. I will note that Bruce (RIP) has located a number of 70/71 Dart GT's and they also had a 2nd digit VIN designation of H. These cars also had option code A65 on the fender tag. The Custom also had different interior than a Swinger. Here is a link to a members restoration thread on a 70 Custom. Your interior should have the same pattern.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=92479&highlight=Dart+custom

~Michael

Well the plot thickens, my 71 swinger 2 door which is most deffinatly a swinger as I am the second owner and have the original invoice and it is bone stock with emblems in place has an H for the second number in the vin. The 1970 2door also has an H for the second number yet says custom on the glove box, and just now found that its a Canada made car (if that matters?). The stock swinger has emblems on the front fender and the custom has emblem holes below the rear quarter windows. Now I have just confused myself :roll: hehe thanks for the investigative work guys, help me figure this out if you can, would the fender tag #'s help at all? and maybe there is some kind of search I can do on the whole vin#?

Well the plot thickens, my 71 swinger 2 door which is most deffinatly a swinger as I am the second owner and have the original invoice and it is bone stock with emblems in place has an H for the second number in the vin. The 1970 2door also has an H for the second number yet says custom on the glove box, and just now found that its a Canada made car (if that matters?). The stock swinger has emblems on the front fender and the custom has emblem holes below the rear quarter windows. Now I have just confused myself :roll: hehe thanks for the investigative work guys, help me figure this out if you can, would the fender tag #'s help at all? and maybe there is some kind of search I can do on the whole vin#?

I believe that the fender tag would show code A68 for the Custom package. It should also have the full dash trim.
~Michael

The dash should look like this if it is a custom. Notice the trim extends all the way to the glovebox door and has the custom tag.
~Michael

Attachments

• Dart Custom Dash.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 176
Stupid decoder for the vin said it's a dart 2door hardtop from Onterio..lol but ya Dartman thats my dash except mine is blue, I havent seen photos of any kind of a Dart with exterior emblems that say Custom though, I'll keep digging also, thanks again for the help

OutKast my 69 has trim molding that runs the entire length of the car and it says custom. Makes it easier to be sure.
~Michael
Dart8-17-2011005.jpg

Now I dont have any trim on the side but then again I bought it primer grey, but the PO said it didnt have trim, I notice also yours looks to be stock paint with no emblems other than the hood. Also my 1970 has the bullet shaped passenger and driverside rear view mirrors as apposed to the tall chrome style you have there. Off subject those are some sweet 5 hole mags you got there.

Now I dont have any trim on the side but then again I bought it primer grey, but the PO said it didnt have trim, I notice also yours looks to be stock paint with no emblems other than the hood. Also my 1970 has the bullet shaped passenger and driverside rear view mirrors as apposed to the tall chrome style you have there. Off subject those are some sweet 5 hole mags you got there.

I don't know if the side trim was available in 70. Mine is an old repaint almost 20 years ago now. I purchased the car from the original owner and it had it's original paint when I bought it. The only exterior emblems are the hood and the trim panel on the trunk. Thanks for the comment on the wheels. In 1987 I bought my first 69 Dart out of a lady's front yard and those wheels were on it. I have had them on 3 Darts since them.
~Michael

Thanks OldmanRick I believe thats my car, and the emblems. You cant zoom on them very well but I know they say Dart Custom, Dang that meens I'm still in search for them I was realy hoping it ended up being a swinger and wouldnt have to hunt these down. I think when I paint it I may just put a very small indent in the bondo that fills the emblem holes so I can locate them down the road when I get emblems. And Dartman dont get rid of those rims they have been discontinued for years especially in a 5 on 4 lug pattern.

Dartman dont get rid of those rims they have been discontinued for years especially in a 5 on 4 lug pattern.

Outkast,
They are small bolt pattern 5 on 4. I have no plans to get rid of them unless I sell the car. The work order for them was in the glove box of the car they came on. I forget now home much the guy paid but the work was done in January of 1969. They are American racing wheels. The guy also bought a set of locking lug nuts which I still have. The locking lugs had 1 key 2 right hand thread and 2 left hand thread locks. I just wish I could find good centers for them. Over the years all but 1 has been broken.
Good luck on your emblem search!! They are out there just keep looking.
~Michael

I have a 69 Swinger with holes for side trim. What would the side trim on a swinger look like versus the custom?

-
Back