Body bends when jacking

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
I tried to post this earlier, seems it got deleted or something...hmm

I was curious if anyone else has this issue.

I jacked my car up, put stands under the door/frame area. When i let the car down you can see the car bend, the front clip drops...is this normal?
I thought i had bent my car in half when i first saw this..but it straights out...do i need to work?
I do plan on subframing it in the future to fix issues just like this, but this bending mean i have some kinda structural damage already?

I do plan on subframing it in the future to fix issues just like this, but this bending mean i have some kinda structural damage already?

Your gonna LOVE IT when you get those in there.
HUGE difference.

Ha thank you guys, like i said scared the hell outta me.
Oh side note, any reason this post doesn't show up when i do a search for my name? (its how i locate all my posts...)

Ha thank you guys, like i said scared the hell outta me.
Oh side note, any reason this post doesn't show up when i do a search for my name? (its how i locate all my posts...)

when you go to a particular forum, or click on "new posts" like i do , everything you posted in will show up in blue, in front of every thread title, on the far left side

Normal uni-body thing. Install subframe ties and that problem will go away. tmm

i really hope your not lifting it by the rocker panel/ pinch weld... it is not designed to be lifted there...

you need to lift it by front and rear frame sections, k member, or rear end...

maybe i screwed up..?
I am rebuilding the front suspension, yanking k member...so i did jack it up by k, but had to put it on jack stands. near TB bar crossmember

Normal........ I don't recommend opening and closing the doors when jacked up like that. I always wait until the car is on the floor. lol

Even with my subframe connectors welded in I still notice the doors shut a little different when the car is on the lift. I bet they wouldn't even open without the connectors.

I just looked, took pictures, I put the jackstand on the same frame as the k member attaches to, however because the frame is sloped, its at the base. There is a junction there where,and thats where the stand is on. but its frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 249
i put my stands right where yours are and this is a b body , they are fine there

Attachments

• a16.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 237
You can find all your post by going to the user cp at the top of the page
Near where the home,forums icons are then you can look on the left
And click on subscriptions and you will see all the post you have made

well just got the K out, think im screwed, gonna need to find a new one..or put the k from the donor 71 i have...this one looks beat to hell, plate where steering pump bolted to is cracked and welded right over, looks like the area under the tbar adjuster on driver side took a hit and is bent, and I dunno what factor welds looked like, but these look like ****, bad beads, splatter that still chips off...and even a spot that is burned thru.

gonna upload pics, u tell me.

If i need a new K, will the 71 bolt in for me? im assuming they are same bolt holes..
I have a 73, so i got discs stock...ulitmately i want the viper calipers that require a 73-76 drum spindle, and i am gonna be putting in a crate 360 or higher....im assuming motormounts are different and can be found to make whatever fit.

any other differences i need to know? mind you i just bought a pst rebuild kit for 73...

The factory welds always seem to look like crap on the k members

The pics of the k member, crack on bottom running front to back, cracked steering pump mount, burn thru on driver side, and general shitty welds.

repairable?

Attachments

• SAM_0023.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 236
  • SAM_0022.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 199
  • SAM_0020.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 218
  • SAM_0019.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 221
  • SAM_0018.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 209
  • SAM_0016.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 209
  • SAM_0015.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 219
  • SAM_0014.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 196
  • SAM_0013.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 219
kinda sucks, with all the suspension outta the car, the k member out, its ashame i dont' have the $6000 bucks it takes to just throw in a kit from magnumforce or whatever..tube and coil overs. NO MORE FREAKING TBARS, oh well

You don't need 6 thousand for a coil over set up look at badarts suspension parts. Dillingerchassis.com

Spool mount. Dang, I have one in my garage I bought for a friend that he didn't need. But it's a standard mount. tmm

So your saying the one i got is better cuz its a spool mount? but the "dang" means its screwed?

i'll throw one up of the donor 71 i bought about 10yrs ago for my 72 that was total.

well i think im gonna try to repair this one for time being, then gonna start saving up my money. Gonna go after the alterkation kit.
Seems to have more support then the magnumforce for the coil overs, and i like the square tube look.

-
Back