Body Carts / Panel Alignment.

-

mopar_mudder

Reaction score
Have the 74 Dart on the rotisserie right now but getting close to the point where I need to get it on to solid ground to fine tune panel fitment, so I have two questions.

1) what are people using for Body Cart that they like? Something like this Auto Twirler Cart. Worst this is I can make one easy enough, just keep running out of time.

2) Do you dare line up panels on a body cart? They are supported at the K member and front spring support. I really hate to have to put all the suspension back in just to take it all out agian.

When I did my 66- I had it in the rotisserie and lowered it lower to the ground about 18” on top of jack stands.
I shimmed the jack stands (3 per side) with wood and plywood. I leveled out the top of the rockers with this method. When I did the quarters - I was able to cut off and install and no door gap issues or wapage / metal issues.
When I need to say seam seal or grind- I simply jacked the car up to normal rotisserie height. I marked the floor where the stands went and what shims I set. When I was done I lowered back and car was good.

That is basically the same thing I am doing now. I want to go to something with wheels so I can move it in and out of the paint both when the time comes.

Why not just build some wheels that attach to the body? That’s what I did before I put my car on the rotisserie. You can make them whatever height you want. I made mine low so it was easy to work on. 1/4” plate and 2” 1/8 wall square tubing. Mine mount on the rear shackle pad and the front bumper mount. Rolled it around my RV bay and out onto the driveway for years.

IMG_1631.jpeg

IMG_1630.jpeg

Heck get fancy with the wheels- threaded rod 1” x 12” and extra heavy 1” long barrel nuts and some brackets so they are adjustable.

I use the Auto Twirler casters. Happy with them. Easy to move around the shop, very sturdy, and you can sell them when you're done.

Twirler.jpg

-
Back