Body kit

-

70 Dart

Reaction score
I know you guys are going to boo me off stage when I say this but has anyone ever seen a body kit or flared fenders on an A-body.I've seen lots of mustangs and a few 70's camaros

I've been on the net all morning and can't find anything.If I had plenty money I'd buy a 70's mustang kit and try to work it in

Didn't "package" cars come with flared fenders? Not sure they ever made an A-body package car though

70 Dart, Are you thinking something like the Apen RT?

78aspen1 (Small).jpg

you can roll the fender and flare it alil....i was thinkin of doin this on my 69 to fit some rims.....

I'm hurt from the Honda thing.I hadn't thought about those cars but yes thats kinda what I had in mind.Lately with all the pro touring thing in the magazines I've seen lots of low,corner handling cars with wide tires on the back and front but their all B or E bodies,I haven't seen a Dart.

Please dont put any side skirts on it but fender flares my look nice if not made to extreme because if any thing mini tubing will take care of that problem of fitting wide rims under the wheeel wells....but i guess flares would be cheaper and easier to do then mini tubing

cdc_3.jpg

Although not an 'older car' you can see what a widebody kit will do for the looks of a car when done correctly. It can be done in a classy, non-cheesy way. The look on an old Duster would look like a Trans Am racer from back in the day.

I say go for it,
I wresteling with the same issue for the missile. I have completed the minitub, But ther are the issues of how to keep the body from getting mud slung on it. Slightly flared fenders and wheel wells solve the problem.
What I love about this hobby is that you can let your creativity go and make it a personal thing.
Rock on :cheers:
Andrew

ill try to get some pics this weekend but my uncle built his 67 barracuda called onewing with a narrowed superbird wing tilt front and a "body kit" well its realy steel rocker panels he built to cover the exhauste he did most of it in the 80s before he passed and all the ricers had wings and bodykits

Davy, That's what I'm talking about, who says your car has to have a pointy front end, 4 wheel drive, or a z06 logo on it to be a g-machine super car.

Don't worry 70Dart, we get it, mini-tubing gets some wide tires under there but it doesn't address the stance problem. A stock a-body rear is 51.4 flange to flange and since I mentioned it above, a z06 has a 62.5 inch rear track Mopar reference is a viper with 60.9 inch rear track.
We all know that a wider base is better for stability, so a wider stance is a good thing and if flaring the fenders will get you there, then go right ahead!!

Who is the member with the valiant drop top that has the flared wells? It's black. Really looks mean.

Bringing an old one back to the top.

Curious if anyone has seen an A-body with flared fenders/quarters in the last year or so. I've been researching doing this on my Dart for a while and doing the flares would allow me to pick up a Viper rolling chassis, stretch it, and drop the body over the stretched chassis. As was mentioned, the track is quite a bit different but the bulge to bulge measurement on the front is 3 1/2" wider (need about a 2" flare) and the rear is 5 3/4" wider (need about a 3" flare). I'm just having a hard time visualizing a 69 Dart as a wide-body. I love the look, just not sure on a Dart. I think what I would do is stretch the entire fender and quarter, rather than just flair around the wheel well. Similar to this Mustang built by Ron Schwarz...
534247312_Pwr5x-L.jpg

606257278_bNfKc-M.jpg

This Mustang looks perfect, but I don't know if there is too much quarter panel behind the rear tire on the Dart?
IMG_5259.jpg

I already had a rendering done and I hate to pay more for it to be redone just to look at the wide-body but I may have to go that route. Any thoughts or pics that anybody has seen?

I was looking at you 1/4 and in my mind I seen a Challenger 1/4 could be retrofitted it seem's. Just a early morning thought.

oooohhhhhh Schwartz.....his stuff is all good. He builds some very nice stuff.

oooohhhhhh Schwartz.....his stuff is all good. He builds some very nice stuff.

I have to agree. The build of his Mustang is one of the most amazing I've seen, especially considering what he started with and that he had less than 10k into it by the time it was on the road...

I don't think there is too much body behind the wheel, if anything it would make the transition more gradual.

Swisswill, Have you thought about trying the wide body mods on the old quarter panels before you weld up the new ones?

challenger widebody badcopdonuts.com.jpg

And of course there is always the WRONG way :lol:
diy-sportscar-7.jpg

I wish I would have kept the fenders off of my old parts car to try some of this myself...hmm

challenger widebody badcopdonuts.com.jpg

diy-sportscar-7.jpg

I wish the quarters were in decent enough shape to experiment with but they are not. The PO cut them up to resemble the Hemi Dart, and he did a terrible job and mangled them. I'm going to keep me eyes out for a pair of fenders to play with a bit and see if I can make it work. The way the Challenger was done in your post would be another option for flaring the quarters.

I know you guys are going to boo me off stage when I say this but has anyone ever seen a body kit or flared fenders on an A-body.I've seen lots of mustangs and a few 70's camaros

There is a '69 Chevelle for sale around the corner from me with flared fenders, been for sale for a couple months now. Definitely a no go for me....and I think it's killing its salability too.

seems to me my brother's Demon has rear fender flares (haven't seen it in a few years because he's just had it in storage since he got into the barracudas)- next time I talk to him I'll ask and if so, I'll see if he has pics.

-
Back