Body Plate - Newark DE car

-

64 Dart 270

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I bought a "parts car" for my 64 Dart 270 convertible about a month ago. The car I bought is a 64 Dart GT Convertible. The guy I bought it off of told me it was originally a 273 car, but that someone had put a 318 in it at some point. He bought it in New Orleans in 2002, shipped it to VT and let it sit since in his father's pole barn (roof, no sides) through 15 winters. The floors are gone, but the frame rails and body is very solid (something you don't usually see in cars that lived through the snowbelt). In any case picked it up for $400, and it's far too good body wise to be a parts car. I checked out the numbers on the block, heads, and manifold and it is in fact a 273 - so I don't know what he was looking at. Removed the plugs and put some mystery oil in the cylinders a few weeks ago but the crank seems stuck hard - thought I'd let the mystery oil sit and try it again but have not gotten back to it. So enough background.
The car's VIN starts with L446, which translates to L=Dodge Dart-8 CYL, 4 = Dart GT, 4 = 1964, 6 = Newark DE.
So I bought the 62-65 production option code book. For 62-64 it does not have any listings for Newark DE. Looking at other plants mapping the codes don't make much sense. Any help decoding the 123,ABC lines would be greatly appreciated. Below are the codes from the fender tag (picture also included).
123 line: 3=7, 6=8, 7=9 P above P, P above R
ABC Line: A=6, H=3, P=7, Q=5, S=6, W=1
Also I included some pics of the car, and a broadcast sheet the guy I bought it off of gave me, but it doesn't look like the right one for the car - thoughts?

20171014_155216.jpg

20171022_142443.jpg

Broadcast_Sheet.jpg

The older tags are not my cup of tea, but that sheet does not match that tag.

Compare the SO numbers, not the same.

Now that you mention it I looked again and you are correct nothing matches.
Yea - that is what I thought when I first saw it - the SO doesn't match, also the body, trim, and paint codes don't match.

Would still like to figure out the fender tag codes - the Galen production code book I bought has codes for what looks like all other plants for 64, but nothing for Newark DE (for 64 or any year).

Tech Center
Also full of info, You'll see many familiar folks from FABO there as well, happy researching!!!

-
Back