Body shop?

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
So I went all throughout San Diego proper yesterday asking engine shops if they knew anyone who did good body work, or anyone that they trusted. I did not find one person who didn’t say “They’re all a bunch of crooks” and each one had their own horror story. Anyone here from the SD area know of a good shop?

Now go to all the body shops and ask if they know any good engine builders, I bet you get the same response.

I suggest going to cruises and shows and when you see a car that looks good, ask who did it. Even if you see a car that looks amazing, the body shop that did the work could be just as likely to screw up another car.

I got my car back from the body shop late last year. I was happy with the job I got for the money I paid, but it took WAY longer than it should have. All the insurance work takes priority. You really have to be looking over their shoulder to make sure your car doesn't end up pushed to the back of the garage.

Also, like a lot of businesses, there's a lot of turnover in workers. It's bad enough in L.A., so I know that most of the guys in San Diego shops will be illegals who may work at a shop for a couple of months and then they're gone. You can see a beautiful car and ask where it was done. The shop may still be there, but the guys who actually did the job may be long gone.

Body work is a crap shoot.

what i do after i have found 3-5 reputable shops is make a checklist of all the things you are VERY particular about getting done. give it to them and say that " this is what i want done, can you do this?" if they say yes, and you choose that shop, make them sign it, you give them a copy, you keep a copy. maybe even get it notarized. only a few will be willing to work this way. THOSE are the folks you want on your car. my guy had a journeyman bodyman that he brings in (not part of everyday crew) for my car. he was an older mexican cat that did good work(i was there every 2-3 days checking the progress).

Don't forget to check with your local Dodge dealers. They have established body shops and many of their guys are long term and love doing classics. My dart will eventually go into my local one.

I would have to agree with Flatlander. I would look into a dealer instead of an independent shop. I used to be a bodyman for about 10 years and it also seemed to me that Dealerships alway retain the help longer the independent shops. There main money source are for most shops is insurance work and the faster they get them in and out the more money they make. With someone who brings in their car in like in your case they are more a little picky in the work that was done. Dealerships also keep the help longer because they also pay better then the independent shop, but with a Dealership you can expect to pay more in labor. Atleast thats how it was in my area and when I used to work there, I'm sure it still is. Dealerships also don't need to rely on the insurance work and walk ins since they have a lot of other sources of income such as warranty work, auto sales ,etc...

You definitely need to research a place before doing the work. You need to find out how long it will take. If they say a week stop in everyday or ever other day for a few minutes and make sure that they are still working on it. By stopping in you can see what has been done that day and make sure it's no getting pushed a side. And you'll see if they are doing what they said they are.

-
Back