Body solder or ???

-

project74

Reaction score
Heyo. I'm at the point with my Dart where I have to decide something. I've gone right down to the bare metal on it where the roof welds to the body. Two spots on the a-pillars and two on the rear sail panels next to the rear window. The 4 weld seams were filled with a body filler from the factory rather than being leaded. I've cleaned out all the old filler and now have to refill the seams which are fairly deep. Body solder (leading) is one option. However, I had an idea and need opinions.
There is a product from various manufacturers like LPS, Devcon etc. Basically what it is, is a two part steel epoxy, usually a tubular stick, one part surrounding the other. When mixed (kneaded) together it forms a super strong repair that is waterproof, sandable, paintable, can be drilled or tapped and is permanent. Very much akin to something like JB weld. Would this be a good alternative to body solder? I really don't want to refill the seams with a regular body filler. All opinions are welcome and thanks in advance.

One vote for using the body solder. (It's not that hard, I've done it.) Only reason I wouldnt use the stuff is, that you don't know how well it will stick to the metal. When it gets rock hard, there's no flexability. So, I think it would tend to crack where it meets the metal.

Leading is a lost art ! Keep it alive ! :headbang:

I agree with Eric S68,
Even if it does expand and contract with a change in temp I'm sure it wont be at the same rate as the sheet metal and then you'll have cracks. Nothing would be worse than going through all this work to end up with a car that looks like crap because something you did during prep. I would just use the tried and true method and be done with it.

I believe in the old saying "You never know till you try" but if you do try it, leave the car in a sealer primer for a summer of actuall road use and see if it cracks or not. That way if it does crack, you wont have to fix a nice paint job, just grind/sand out the epoxy stuff, fill with either leading (don't know if that can even be done anymore, environmental reasons and all) or body filler, and then paint (although I don't believe body filler holds up in those particular joints). Let us all know if you try the stuff and give your opinions of it so others may follow in your footsteps if it works out.

Here's one vote against the lead. There are new materials on the market that are as good or better and easier to work with; not to mention that lead is now on the hazardous MSD sheets. Metal Lux for one is great for these areas. And there are others.

I would go with the body solder/Lead,it is not that difficult and is a great process. Easy to fix if you make a mistake.Actually easier than regular body filler in my opinion. If it was my car that is what I would go with.It is a proven method for many many years.

Evercoat has a filler called Metal to Metal. Mixes like bondo, goes on like bondo but is a water proof aluminum filled material. I use it anywhere that I need to build up the surface. Little tougher to sand but is still very workable.

-
Back