body work, what to do?

-

Realm412

Reaction score
Okay, so my '63 valiant has had the misfortune of living the majority of her life outside uncovered (I feel the virtual bitchslaps already) anyway after her 45 years she's got some image issues. I want to do as much as possible to save money but have no experience with body work. My initial plan was to sand her down put primer on her to stop the rust from spreading until I could get her that new dress she always wanted. Is this even a viable solution? Considering I still have no where to keep her indoors (working on this) and with time contraints, I could only do a little bit here and there, am i better off just putting money away and hunting for a good autobody shop?

If you have no experiance with body work, I assume you have none of the tools either. If your car has rust, just sanding will not remove it. It will need to be blasted or cut out and patched...or replaced totally. If you do decide to sand it down yourself...doing it by hand will give you arms like Popeye and will take you forever. So...to "just sand it down and put some prmer on her", you will need: sanders, sand paper, air compressor, spray gun, trim tools to remove chrome trim...and then tape, making paper, primer, reducer, activator, resporator (primer is not good to breath in). In most areas it is illegal to paint outside...and then when you take it to your bodyshop they will take it all back off to start their bodywork. Your best bet is to save your money and just have the shop do the whole job. You will be happier and get a better job. In my shop, I have done quite a few cars that were strated by the owner and needed to be completely done over because they did not do things the right way. So...my suggestion, put a barrier type of paint on the rust (like Master coat, POR 15, rust encapsulator.etc.) and save up for the body shop.

Kinda figured that was going to be the outcome. Glad I asked before I decided to mess it up further, I just wanted to make sure before I started throwing money away like I have so many other times in the past.

I dont know. I did all my body work. But, I'm also that kind of person. I want to do everything on this car. I also went out and bought any tools I already didn't have. I have a ton of tools. And I need them to do all of this work. It took a lot of hours and I'm actually not done yet. For the most part I'm done. I have to do some more rust repair on my floor boards. But I have my own sand blaster and compressor. 340john is absolutely right on what he said.

I don't want to turn you off to working on your car, but I just wanted you to look at the big picture. I know alot of people that have done their own cars and have gotten decent results, but it takes alot of work, patients, time, money and guidance. If you had an indoor place to work on and to store your car, that would be a different story too.

I totally agree. It has been all trial and error with my car. I really wish at times that I had someone to show me the real/faster way to do some of the body work. I mean I have a general understanding and a lot of patience but it still would have been a lot easier. Some people think I did mine real fast. But actually for 2 months I was at it about 8-10 hrs. a day 5-6 days a week. I got laid off from work. I think that is where I got a lot of my drive to even do it at all.

2 months is quick. Ive had mine for over a year and its still not done. And I work at a body/resto shop.

If you have no experiance with body work, I assume you have none of the tools either. If your car has rust, just sanding will not remove it. It will need to be blasted or cut out and patched...or replaced totally. If you do decide to sand it down yourself...doing it by hand will give you arms like Popeye and will take you forever. So...to "just sand it down and put some prmer on her", you will need: sanders, sand paper, air compressor, spray gun, trim tools to remove chrome trim...and then tape, making paper, primer, reducer, activator, resporator (primer is not good to breath in). In most areas it is illegal to paint outside...and then when you take it to your bodyshop they will take it all back off to start their bodywork. Your best bet is to save your money and just have the shop do the whole job. You will be happier and get a better job. In my shop, I have done quite a few cars that were strated by the owner and needed to be completely done over because they did not do things the right way. So...my suggestion, put a barrier type of paint on the rust (like Master coat, POR 15, rust encapsulator.etc.) and save up for the body shop.
That is the way I am going, I have spent to much time with a grinder or a DA sander in my hands all ready in the day. A sand blaster along with a plasma cutter and a wire welder was my friend prepping for rust.:-D
clean, prep work and blocking and blocking :angry7:
Glad I have Victoria :-D she don't need much.:cheers:

Hay Realm412 how are your tail lights and lenses ?

LIFE%20030.jpg

well I don't have a lot of the luxuries that are required and in the end it would cost me just as much if not more to do it myself than to have it done professionally. That's not to say that I don't want to do it myself but it's just not in the cards right now. Thanks for the replies, and the honesty, Like I said the more I learned and weighed it against my current budget, time schedule, and location circumstances it became a pipe dream anyway and I would I'm sure do more harm than good.

Hey, there are still the mechanical points for me to do myself so I'm still ok as far as a hobby.

-Greg

im doing mine myself ,I dont have a clue, it might not look like a show car but it will look good when im blowin by you at the track LOL

How are your tail light on your 63 RealM412 ?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

the lenses are scraped and cracked. well here take a look. driverside to passenger. Passenger side is pretty much ok with just lens damage. the driver sided though needs to be replaced entirely.

driverside_taillight_1.jpg

driverside_taillight_2.jpg

passenger_taillight_1.jpg

passenger_taillight_2.jpg

Well that won't do!! :-D.
pm me your address and these will be on there way if you would like to have them Realm412, Become a gold member if you can, That would be cool if you could but let me find them first.

Found them with reverse light's and trim.

bbbb4 089.jpg

sweet, thanks!

You sure got that dun quick :cheers:A new gold member and he has an early A :-D:-D:-D Give me a couple days and I will pm you when I send them to your great car :cheers: and a new member here that went gold.

Here is a picture of my old better I was going to build and the picture of the car I bought the tail lights for.

63%20dash%20pic%20resized.jpg

LIFE%20027.jpg

four%20door%20012.jpg

I managed to get them boxed up today :-D

bbbb4 099.jpg

bbbb4 100.jpg

bbbb4 102.jpg

I stripped my car completely. I'm going to blast/seal the car and fill trim holes myself/family but leave the rest to a good body shop. I'm trying to do as much as I can myself to concentrate the money where it's needed.

Right on memike!!!!! I have been giving away parts to people for FREE. They just have to pay shipping. I guess I never thought of having them become a GOLD member. But I'm not even a gold member yet. I need some extra cash. I'm broke. You would think I would sell a couple of parts rather than give them away being I'm broke. But I just cant if I did not even pay for them. Anyway, good job.

Right on memike!!!!! I have been giving away parts to people for FREE. They just have to pay shipping. I guess I never thought of having them become a GOLD member. But I'm not even a gold member yet. I need some extra cash. I'm broke. You would think I would sell a couple of parts rather than give them away being I'm broke. But I just cant if I did not even pay for them. Anyway, good job.
Thank you dud :-D Me , I stay broke, But happy with what I have.
And this site and the great folks here make it easy for me to set back and enjoy the sun shine and sleep good at night.
I pay shipping :-D

-
Back