Bogging problems

-

baucco

Reaction score
Okay,so I've gotten the Barracuda to about 90% finished and it's drivable and looks pretty okay. MOst of the stuff is easily fixed but the one bug that keeps eluding me is that if I try to accelerate much at all while in motion,it bogs down and sometimes,when climbing a long hill,it just dies. I let it rest for a few minutes and it starts up fine and off you go. In Park,it revs up just fine and sounds terriffic. I'm thinking it is just the float adjust on the carb . Any clues? Thanks,Dan

Apologies,I haven't been here in awhile officially.I kinda forgot the routine.The car is a 64 Barracuda/Valiant 273 auto 2bbl Stromberg WW carb. Thanks again,Dan

I'm guessing that you're using the stock fuel pump, correct? When was the last time the carb was rebuilt? You might want to open that carb up and see if it's full of rust.

Hi Ramcharger,
I bought the carb as "rebuilt and guaranteed",but I haven't opened it to look. I assumed that it was correctly done and set. I am using the standard mechanical fuel pump.Thanks for your help with this,Dan

No problem Dan. Have you had a chance to open it up yet? Is this something that you're comfortable doing?

Do you have a short section of rubber line between the tank and the main line? If it is old and rotten the pump could be sucking it flat causing all sorts of starvation isues.

Fuel filter plugged?

Do you have a short section of rubber line between the tank and the main line? If it is old and rotten the pump could be sucking it flat causing all sorts of starvation isues.

Fuel filter plugged?

Good points C130.

Okay,so I've gotten the Barracuda to about 90% finished and it's drivable and looks pretty okay. MOst of the stuff is easily fixed but the one bug that keeps eluding me is that if I try to accelerate much at all while in motion,it bogs down and sometimes,when climbing a long hill,it just dies. I let it rest for a few minutes and it starts up fine and off you go. In Park,it revs up just fine and sounds terriffic. I'm thinking it is just the float adjust on the carb . Any clues? Thanks,Dan

I had a very similar problem and it was bad plug wires. I spent the entire time chasing carba and fuel starvation when it was that simple. This problem is tough because it could be so many things.

Thanks for the input guys! The fuel filter,plug wires and soft lines from the tank are all new,but I had better check them to be sure! I'll probably get a chance to take the carb apart soon just to be sure someone didn't sell me a pig in a poke. I should have looked at it first thing before putting it in.Live and learn!

Thanks for the input guys! The fuel filter,plug wires and soft lines from the tank are all new,but I had better check them to be sure! I'll probably get a chance to take the carb apart soon just to be sure someone didn't sell me a pig in a poke. I should have looked at it first thing before putting it in.Live and learn!

That may not be it, or it may be a simple matter like a float adjustment, but it seems to be a good place to start. Rust in the carb will be indicative of rust in the tank, which could mean that you have a plugged fuel sock. On the other hand, no rust and good float level means we need to look elswhere for the problem.

It truly is very difficult to diagnose these problems over the internet.

nice to check the plug wires at nite and watch them zapping in about 5 different areas

-
Back