Boise on fire

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I woke up this morning at 5:30 ( hockey habit ) and smelled smoke in the air . Checked my phone and it turns out the fire is within 3 miles of my house !
I had to run some errands then go to work at noon . Now the fire is within 2 miles.
Here is a pic 1 block from my house looking accross rhe river

IMG_1294.jpeg

Imagine my surprise in '85 while coming home to Garden Valley with slash piles burning to my surprise not knowing WTF.

Best of luck ! & prayers for you.

Have they got water tankers in the air? If not why not? Hopefully it gets handled before it gets to your house....

I woke up this morning at 5:30 ( hockey habit ) and smelled smoke in the air . Checked my phone and it turns out the fire is within 3 miles of my house !
I had to run some errands then go to work at noon . Now the fire is within 2 miles.
Here is a pic 1 block from my house looking accross rhe river

View attachment 1716311724

Is that the Valley fire?

Made quite a run for starting today, already listed at over 7,800 acres. Just FYI, for those in fire country there's a really great at called "Watch Duty". It updates with information on pretty much every fire, will send you notifications for fires in your area, has mapping when they do the infrared flights, will show pictures from any fire cameras in the area, will show evacuation areas and shelters, etc. That's just the free version. I use it as a firefighter and it frequently updates faster than you can get information even through official channels. Not always, but it's a great resource for anyone especially if you don't have scanners/radios or official access.

I don't have any connection to it, I have a bunch of apps and resources I use and it's just one of the more helpful. I probably use it just as much at home as I do on duty, since I live in a wildland fire area. They have subscription plans of course with more features, but it's run by a non-profit.

Watch Duty - Wildfire Maps & Alerts

IMG_7856.PNG

It’s freakin October !

Doesn't matter. Until you get a good 1/2 to 1" of rain it will all burn. If anything, October can be the worst because the fuel has had longer to dry. The worst part of fire season can easily be the week before winter sets in. This is Idaho currently- every little flame icon is a fire. Obviously with the scale of the map some of those icons are much larger in area on the map than the fires they represent, but you get the idea. Looks like you guys are still waiting for winter to show up, and if the long range forecasts are worth anything there's at least a couple more weeks of high temperatures. Red flag warning areas too (in pink)

IMG_7857.PNG

Last edited:
Idaho was lucky this year . As many fires as we have had it could have been much worse ! Super dry .. luckkly we had a few good storms in mtns about 3-4 weeks ago which quelled many of the fires . But nothing since . Late Sept and October should be rain and snow in the high country . Spent many an archery hunt in snow late September. Valley has gotten maybe 3 days of rain in thhe last 4 months .
The last pics show the fire heading into Robbie Creek which has many (about 100) cabins and homes. You can see a big black plum in one pic that I image is a structure going up in flames . My son was a wildland firefighter and said they used to talk about how logistically impossible it would be to defend that area . He was based in Idaho city which is about. 10 miles away .

Cost effectiveness might be an issue . I heard they used to use dog food soaked in water but that may have been a wives tale or my active imagination. Lol

Turn around time for tankers/helicopters is vital so scooping water out of a nearby lake or river is a time saver . Pretty amazing to watch !

We still have a fire going to the north east. They were using the guys from Canada that have the tankers that land on a lake, scoop up water then fly off. Only land-for fuel. The have a real quick turn around unlike the DC10 which has to land to fill up with fuel and retardant.

We still have a fire going to the north east. They were using the guys from Canada that have the tankers that land on a lake, scoop up water then fly off. Only land-for fuel. The have a real quick turn around unlike the DC10 which has to land to fill up with fuel and retardant.
Also remember living in Yakima WA when fire season would hit. The smell of burning sage. Before we move south the summers would be constantly smoky from the Canadian fires. Constant smell of a campfire.

Have you ever burned sage in a campfire ? Holy cow! It burns hot and fast ! Must have a lot of oil in t . First time I did it made me realize how careful I have to be while camping in it .

-
Back