Bold Enough to Make Own Carpet Kit for 1st Generation Barracuda?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I am sure those pre-molded, vacuum-formed Barracuda carpet kits fit like a glove. But what if one does not look forward to the wait, the cost, the shipping. Anyone try to piece together this project on their own (maybe a carpet installer out their somewhere)? I only saved one pair of pieces of the factory carpet, so not much to go on.

Barracuda carpet.JPG

I’d rather wait for shipping than spend all the time TRYING to make something work. But, if you have the patience and the ambition go for it!

I am sure those pre-molded, vacuum-formed Barracuda carpet kits fit like a glove. But what if one does not look forward to the wait, the cost, the shipping. Anyone try to piece together this project on their own (maybe a carpet installer out their somewhere)? I only saved one pair of pieces of the factory carpet, so not much to go on.

View attachment 1715686851
That's More pieces than I have! :thumbsup:

Your right, my shipped to me preformed carpet kit fit perfect in my 66. :thumbsup:

I did my own carpet in my 67. Twice, I went on a road trip in a monsoon and the floor boards filled up with water because of leaky wiper pivots. I went to the local upholstery shop and got everything.

I’ve been a carpet installer for the last 34 years and it’s totally not worth doing it yourself from scratch.I wouldn’t even bother with it for what it’s worth for a preformed kit.Just my opinion

It is entirely possible. My wife has helped me with a few restoration of complete interiors. She uses an industrial Singer #7. It is tough enough to sew many layers for seams and edge bindings.

I ordered ACC carpet from Rock Auto in burgundy and I have only laid it in place just to see rough fit in my 65 Cuda and I'm happy with it. Sewn edges are nice and it seems fairly well made. Rock auto was the cheapest place on the net I could find and I added the extra padding for the front pieces and in all I received 8 pieces of carpet in 2 boxes I ordered.

I’ve been a carpet installer for the last 34 years and it’s totally not worth doing it yourself from scratch.I wouldn’t even bother with it for what it’s worth for a preformed kit.Just my opinion
yup I make Lincoln sewn up kits and get 700 for them. pre-molded is the way to go. and it's hard to get Carpet right now for us to even make sewn up kits. ACC only wants to sell either a molded set (which they don't make for the models we sew up and the ones they do make (sedans)SUCK!)) or 1 yard of material (Lincolns in the 60's use about 4 yards) We are making an order up for 16 different color rolls of carpet to the manufacturer and driving up to get them when they are done.

good luck on you endeavors but unless you get house carpet(latex back to form and mold easier) the options your going to get is poly backed(which forms like umm crap to tell the truth) or mass backed which forms worse. it's pretty hard getting carpet more than 1 yard increments form any supplier right about now (good for automotive use) Unbacked is out there but the durability is pretty much 2 seasons and done.

-
Back