Bolt length

-

dodgy

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone tell me the approximate length of the 3/8 unc bolts for alternator, water pump and alt bracket for LA 360.
Thanks

I've got 5 1/2" just want a confirmation before *** Alters there bolt kit.

There are different lengths for different applications.

The short barrel spacer can also differ for the same reason, so the two lengths are dependent on application.

They are most definitely different lengths.
Most important is some go into the water jacket and require a good "HIGT TEMP THREAD SEALLER". @ 3 o clock !!!!
Also the water pump bolt at three o'clock is open and the bolt could hit #1 cylinder sleeve and break the cylinder wall.
Dry assemble all parts on this including alternator bracket, adjuster, and the alternator and measure each bolt length.

There are different lengths for different applications.

The short barrel spacer can also differ for the same reason, so the two lengths are dependent on application.

Not sure what the short barrel spacer is, is the it to do with different alternators?

answer
IT DEPENDS
get your alternator lined up and measure the length of spacer needed
and do measure for each bolt
no need for grade 8
the torque required by them is too great
very important tips above
run too long a bolt in with an impact or pull on to torque and you just ruined an engine

Maybe my question was a bit vague, with this style bracket straight off the cast alloy waterpump . Two water pump / timming case bolts and the alt bolt.

20200110_030147.jpg

Never mind fella's , just thought someone would have the factory lengths on hand and say yeah thoses are ...... long but if running this style bracket and alt you would need .......long, and thanks for all the other info on blind and open holes and cylinder walls behind the bottom long water pump hole. As they say it's all good.
Thanks anyway

also which water pump makes a difference, which alternator, ac, Ps etc
hard to find a virgin after 50 years
you can figure out how far you need to go into blind holes or how many threads (turns) you actually need- no need to go longer
going to deep into a blind hole can run into the tap taper and split the casting
you can bottom tap and then count the turns
measure twice cut once

also which water pump makes a difference, which alternator, ac, Ps etc
hard to find a virgin after 50 years
you can figure out how far you need to go into blind holes or how many threads (turns) you actually need- no need to go longer
going to deep into a blind hole can run into the tap taper and split the casting
you can bottom tap and then count the turns
measure twice cut once
How many different aluminium water pump housings did they make with (with different depth hole spacings ) for an la 360, i know about different pulleys and vanes but the bolt spacing and depth is new to me.

-
Back