Bolts or studs and why

-

BobbyY

Old Mopar guy
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a novice questions but I'm asking it anyway. My Dart has Elderbrock performer aluminum heads. It currently has Hooker super comp 1 3/4 in headers. These headers have to go. I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the final product but in the short term I got a set of 360 high flow intakes that I'm going to use. The question is, when I put the cast iron manifolds on the alunimum heads do I use bolts or do I use studs. Why and what should they be torqued to. Also is there anything I need to be aware of when removing the current bolts out of the head.

Thanks for the help.
Bobby

I don't know about the torque specs, but the two end holes in the heads go through to water. You need to use the factory studs there. You cannot use hardware studs, they are different. The factory holes have a chamfer around the hole. The factory studs have a bevel that acts as a seal against the chamfer when they are tightened. I do not know if aftermarket heads have that chamfer or not, but if they do the correct studs should be used. This is why people have trouble getting bolts to seal even with sealant.

another question...Are the Edelbrock heads end bolts wet ...I am thinking they are not in the water...

have to go look...lol

I have the Edelbrock heads on my 340 and I used studs only because I didn't want to wear the bolt holes out with taking the headers on & off also it's nice to put the exhaust gaskets on the studs & slide the header on not having to need 4 hands. ARP makes studs that work great and so does Hughes Engine. By the way there is no water on the exhaust bolts on my Edlebrock heads.

Then if the holes in the Eddy heads are dry, you can just use regular hardware store studs. I would coat them with anti seize, though.

yeah...just pulled a header bolt out of end ...no water...

Thanks to everyone for your input. This not my build so I did not know if any of the holes were wet or not. I do know the headers are held on with bolts and not studs. It was always my thought that the exhaust manifold or headers should be held on with studs. One my concerns with the bolts would be steel to aluminum seizing and breaking. I am getting ready to start a disassembly of the vehicle and want to make sure I have the correct pieces and parts befor going back together.

Bobby

Guys, one additional question. Is ther any thing I need to be aware of or precautions I need to take when removing the existing header bolts, I do not want to screw something up.

Bobby

-
Back