Boneyard

-

Idaho

Reaction score
Hi guys, just joined.

I've got a Mopar boneyard waiting for a resurrection.

It started a few years ago, when I bought my daughter a nice baby blue 73 /6 Duster, thinking we'd do an easy restore, maybe a V8 upgrade. She was hit by a semi, fortunately not badly hurt but the care didn't fare so well. The driver side from the door to rear tire was pushed in over a foot so it's in the boneyard.

This summer a friend talked me into clearing out his boneyard a bit by taking his 73 Duster 340 4 spd (light yellow) with R ft frame damage, no interior, 340 from another car (also 73, needs rebuild) and a 73 Dart Sport 318 automatic. He also gave me a complete front end cut off another 73 (also happens to be light yellow).

Now I have to figure out what to do with it all. Likely I'll restore the 340 car but I could easliy do two cars with what's there.

I've got a truck project this winter but I'm gathering info/ideas for when I get started on the cars.

I've got a pic I wish I could post here of what I'd like to achieve in terms of the look I'm after so I can get advice about roughly what tire sizes I'm looking at and what to do with the rear suspension. It's a race photo of a car owned by Joe Grillo. I'll try to figure out how to post a pic.

The other thing I'm pondering is how much I'll have to do to the 340 to make it about a 13 second car. I'm sure I'll find some info here in that regard. I've read though one book on rebuilding small block mopars. I think the Mopar performance secrets book is next on my list.

If anyone has some ballpark ideas that would be nice.

Arlie :hockey:

I have no idea who Joe Grillo is but I like the look. I'd go for something a little wider on the front. I think he's launching so of course the front is up, not sure about his rear suspension, maybe it's rebounding upward too.

Anyone got any ideas roughly what tire size he might be running and if this can be done without major suspension mods?

I like his blackened grill and painted bumper (fibreglass I'm sure).

Arlie

JoeGrillo (Small).jpg

Welcome aboard Arlie. For the street you'd probably want a little more front tire than the car in the photo. :) Your rear tire size is dictated by the width of your rear wheels, which in turn is dictated by the width of the rear end, location of your rear springs, and the width of the wheel tubs. Mopars, unless they're running CalTrac type bars, generally lift, not squat, in the rear on launch.

Yes, I like the paint sceam as well. Looking good.

what? a fellow Idahoan?
Welcome aboard the uh..board.

look, learn, listen, and tell. we all benefit!

-RPM

i really like the look of that car.
the hoodscoop really sets it off.
i wonder if he built the hood himself?

Longarm,
That hood and a few others are available in fibreglass by a company building them for select mopars, chevys and fords. I ran across their site while scoping around for parts. I'll see if I can locate the link.

RPM,
Nampa huh, not that far. I'll send a PM.

rumblefish360
I always thought I liked the stripe that curves up the rear quarter with 340 numbering best but after seeing this one I'm not so sure.

OldVart
I get the idea. I'm just thinking there's folks out there who've been there done that and can save some "varting around" trying to figure it out. O:)

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

Arlie

Here's the hood supplier.

http://www.usbody.com/

The Duster link is bad but just use the Dart link under the fibreglass section.

I'm not a big fan of scoops, especially when they're just decoration but I agree this one looks great. I might even consider getting one and making it functional.

Arlie

thanks for the info and welcome to the site, Idaho
longarm

Thanks for the welcome.
I see you're from B.C.
I'm a BC native (Fort St John). :salute:
Very nice cars.

Arlie :hockey: (still playing hockey)

Welcome aboard Idaho, sounds like a nice project, shorten the rearend move your springs to the frame rails, minitub it and pack in the most rubber possible, people here can tell you how great bunch here!

Hello to another Canuck! Seems to be lots of them here. I've never been over east but would like to.

I this point I'm thinking of using as much rubber as possible without spring/body modifications.

My goal is to build it to go 13 second or under. I'm guessing this can be done fairly easily with modern drag radials without the mods.

I don't want to lose the back seat, but you said "mini" tubbing. I'll have to look into that. If the seat is not sacrificed, maybe it's an option.

Arlie

Idaho, a 13 second car is easily accomplished with a 340. Mini tubbing is only splitting the wheel well and welding a piece in the middle. This moves the inside wall of the wheel well flush with the framerail. This is typically done when you have used the spring relocation kit. You also get to keep your rear seat. Here is an excellent link on moving the springs in http://tinyurl.com/yy7owf . I can't find my link to the widening of the wheel wells hope you get the idea though.

Thanks for the link.
This would be a fun project, especially when the end result is a set of nice fatties!
Arlie

-
Back