Boost bypass valve???

-

tooslow

Reaction score
If your cruisin down the highway and lookin for mileage and not boost can you dump the boost thru a bypass valve so the carbs run basically normally aspirated???
the more boost the more gas consumed right?
When its time to play you can flip a switch to the boost solonoid /?

If your cruisin down the highway and lookin for mileage and not boost can you dump the boost thru a bypass valve so the carbs run basically normally aspirated???
the more boost the more gas consumed right?
When its time to play you can flip a switch to the boost solonoid /?

If you are running a supercharger I'm sure you need one. On my Turbo Mopars
I use a bypass valve also. When you let up on the gas and the valve sees vacuum it opens and vents to the atmosphere.

it should get better mileage under a little boost. Especially if EFI. if it runs N/A when set up for boost it would run rich especially on a blow through.

At cruise the engine should be in vacuum anyways, the only time vacuum diminishes is when the Throttle Blades open more than "cruise minimum"....The Bypass Valve (also known commonly as a BLOW OFF VALVE)...works to prevent damage to the Compressor Wheel.

It prevents damage by BYPASSING Pressure BEFORE the Throttle Body and not slowing the turbocharger down.

If NO BOV was in place......after a Wide Open Blast the driver would eventually let off the throttle and the turbocharger would still be compressing air against the throttle body and REVERTING back to the turbocharger and slowing it down and even stopping it completely from 100,000+ rpm......=bad.

I recommend a BOV diameter with 1/4 - 1/3 of Charge Pipe Diameter.

I think you guys are miss understanding his question.. Hes not asking how a bov works..

Carbs? Plural? Meaning on top of a Supercharger? I don't see using a BOV for that. I may be wrong but all I have ever seen on a Charger is a burst plate?

With a turbo when you cruise there is no real boost until you get into a load situation.

A correct tune on the carbs and the higher gear is where you get the economy.

My lousy 2 cents!

QUOTE: I think you guys are misunderstanding his question.. He's not asking how a bov works.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Right, here is what he asked: "If you're cruisin' down the highway and lookin' for mileage and not boost, can you dump the boost thru a bypass valve so the carbs run basically normally aspirated???"

The answer is a qualified "yes," because you dump it with the aid of a "blow-off valve," not a "by-pass valve." (simple nomenclature glitch.)

This is a hole in the plumbing between the compressor whem and the carb, that is "plugged" for boost by the blow-off valve. When the boost is not needed (part-throttle cruise,) the valve opens, and releases the compressed air to the atmosphere. They're adjustable.

To explain further, the blow-off valve is located on the cold side plumbing and relieves the pressure buildup that occurs when the throttle closes, but the compresssor is still turning fast enough to make boost. The blowoff valve prevents damage to the compresssor by dumping that unwanted/unneeded boost into the atmosphere.... after all, it's just air... no fuel in it.

So, the final answer is "yes."
Hope this helps.

Good question!

The reason I called it a by-pass valve is because that's what Chrysler
calls it in the service manual. I do prefer to call it a blow-off valve as
that's what most folks call it and know what you mean when you use the term.

And I agree Bill......the answer is yes.

The reason I called it a by-pass valve is because that's what Chrysler
calls it in the service manual. I do prefer to call it a blow-off valve as
that's what most folks call it and know what you mean when you use the term.

And I agree Bill......the answer is yes.

A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.... LOL!!!:thumrigh:

-
Back