boost ref position on carb hat?

-

srixon4406

TURBO TOAD
Reaction score
Is there a ideal location for your boost ref in the carb hat on a blow through turbo setup I read on theturboforum a couple weeks ago that there is but I'm having a hard time trying to find the post I'm hoping one of u guys my no?
Turbo Toad

the boost reference for what? fuel pump, boost controller, timing computer??

but if you think about it, its all under the same pressure so it wouldn't matter...

For the fuel regulator I red somewhere that there is certain spots where u want to put your port and then there is spots that are less desirable I don't want to do it twice

Sorry I forget I should be a little more forthcoming with the info
I'm doing a blow thru turbo setup with a pass thru fuel system that is boost ref with a return fuel line back to the fuel tank

Sorry again Aaron

Ok I've had a good nite at work not a whole lot going on (electrician in a steel mill)so I've been trying to answer my own question heres what I came up with

BOOST REFERENCE LOCATION

FUEL REG either in the carb hat position doesn't matter or about 5" from the intake of the carb hat I still think I read somewhere there is a ideal location but I couldn't find that thread

BOV should be referenced below the carb,my question is can I tap a fitting in my intake manifold off of one of the runners /6 Clifford four barrel intake there is a spot on the number six runner that would expect a nipple or Should I find a different location

WASTEGATE being that I hooked up my internal wastegate the boost reference will come off the turbo housing

MSD BTM should be boost referenced off a separate port off the carb hat

BOOST CONTROLLER ill probably T off of the wastegate unless that's not a good choice?

Does this sound right please give me some feedback if I have it wrong

Thanks FABO
Aaron

Ok I've had a good nite at work not a whole lot going on (electrician in a steel mill)so I've been trying to answer my own question heres what I came up with

BOOST REFERENCE LOCATION

FUEL REG either in the carb hat position doesn't matter or about 5" from the intake of the carb hat I still think I read somewhere there is a ideal location but I couldn't find that thread

BOV should be referenced below the carb,my question is can I tap a fitting in my intake manifold off of one of the runners /6 Clifford four barrel intake there is a spot on the number six runner that would expect a nipple or Should I find a different location

WASTEGATE being that I hooked up my internal wastegate the boost reference will come off the turbo housing

MSD BTM should be boost referenced off a separate port off the carb hat

BOOST CONTROLLER ill probably T off of the wastegate unless that's not a good choice?

Does this sound right please give me some feedback if I have it wrong

Thanks FABO
Aaron

Fuel reg = off the hat
BOV = Intake, below carb and turbo housing. (push/pull)
Wastegate & Boost controller = off of turbo housing
MSD = I don't know. Don't use one.

Shaker, Any recommendation on where to tap for the boost gauge? and why?
I had mine in the #6 intake runner and it showed far different results than when hooked up at the carb hat or the turbo housing.
or should I just run 2? :lol:

the strongest most accurate signal is from the compressor housing. The only thing that I am referencing from below the carb is the BOV. Everything else is off the turbo.

Shaker, Any recommendation on where to tap for the boost gauge? and why?
I had mine in the #6 intake runner and it showed far different results than when hooked up at the carb hat or the turbo housing.
or should I just run 2? :lol:

I drilled and tapped a spot below the carb into the plenum of the intake for the boost gauge. I used this same port for my meth switch and my BOV. This spot is what the engine sees in terms of boost. There are pressure differences above and below the throttle blades as you have noticed. The fuel reg and BRPV should be off of the hat because the fuel bowls of the carb sees what the hat sees.

yeah, I noticed that when I had it hooked to the comp housing, it would read about 0 at idle and hit 6lbs really quick and sometimes about 8 with spikes to 10, but connected to the intake runner it only ever hits 6. I moved it around a couple of times but settled on the runner because I wanted to see what the engine was seeing too

.... ya know, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if that was the issue that I was having with my referenced mech pump.....too much boost for the pump ( maybe I shouldn't have pulled off the turbo setup after all )

I drilled and tapped a spot below the carb into the plenum of the intake for the boost gauge. I used this same port for my meth switch and my BOV. This spot is what the engine sees in terms of boost. There are pressure differences above and below the throttle blades as you have noticed. The fuel reg and BRPV should be off of the hat because the fuel bowls of the carb sees what the hat sees.

Shaker or any of the other blow through guys I have a Holley DP blow through and was wondering where do I install my boost ref for the brpv on the carb

Thanks all
Aaron

-
Back