Bore and Stroke

-

sepiman

Reaction score
Hello, I have the opportunity to purchase a “x” block with a bore of 4.090“ and a 3.580” stroke. Block has been sitting for years with heavy rust build up. I think an acid dip will do the trick but not sure of the bores. If I need to bore, would I be pushing it knowing it’s already .060 over? What are your thoughts please.

B9310EAE-6142-4011-AF1A-8C550F1AC47F.jpeg

850253D9-DEE1-4895-AF71-3E1A637A786F.jpeg

Welcome aboard!

It depends on the actual blocks part number.
You’re in luck I think because it should be cast into the block above the starter area. Report back with that number and I’ll try and find it.

Otherwise! The machinist can sonic check it and tell you how thick the cylinder walls are and what’s left to bore out some more.

Must be nice to go out in the shop and take pitchers of race stuff. Ya dawg. lol
Thanks but I’m 50/50 on that. Why? It’s not in use. Darn!
4.100 bout as far as ive seen X blocks id clean it up and get it sonic tested and see whats left in it!!
This is probably the case. I just wanna make sure of the actual block he has. I don’t remember an early X block not being able to go pretty far.

My X block is currently at 4.100 and the machine shop said it will go to 4.125 safetly. The outside main bolts on that engine look very small mine has big bolts like the primary bolts. If it is cheap enuff I would sleeve all 8 holes if necessary. I would make certain that it is otherwise usable before spending that much on it. Hate to see a X passed if it can be saved.

The main caps on my X block extend all the way to the pan rail. I've had to massage every pan I've installed to go over the caps. I'd certainly make sure that is an X block.

He made the one post and disappeared!

The MoPar black hole……..

The main caps on my X block extend all the way to the pan rail. I've had to massage every pan I've installed to go over the caps. I'd certainly make sure that is an X block.

Some of the X blocks came with two bolt mains. Those caps are Milodon and they use an angled 3/8 bolt.

They were originally designed for use on passenger car blocks. That’s why the bolts are angled and why they are so small.

He needs to look close. It could just as easily be a T/A block or even a P car block with those caps.

And if he ever pops back in here, I suggest if he buys that thing that he finds a shop with a laser cleaner.

Its better, faster and cleaner than acid, shot blasting, soda or any of that other stuff.

Laser cleaning is the sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

EDIT: my bad. That is at least a T/A block. It can’t be a P car block because the main bearing bulkhead at the pan rails are filled.

You could certainly be correct it could be a T/A block with 4 bolt caps added. I didn't even think about that and I used to own one.

Whatever block it is, the pan rails and main webs are filled. It appears to have bushed lifter bores too. It's a shame to see a (possibly) good block get in this condition.

Whatever block it is, the pan rails and main webs are filled. It appears to have bushed lifter bores too. It's a shame to see a (possibly) good block get in this condition.
My 440 HP block has a fresh 0.030 overbore and was hot tanked, w/ new cam bearings. It's been riding around the back of my truck for about 2 or 3 weeks..... not good, not good at all. When I sue the ***** that screwed me out of my building, I'm going to throw that in there too

-
Back